Interviewing is a two-way street, so let’s get to know each other. Here’s a little about us:
- We’re growing fast — like, speed-of-light fast. We have 150 new, full-time Flockers and more square feet — in Encinitas and Chicago — than ever before
- We’re taking names. Find us on the CNBC Disruptor 50, SDCE 100, SDBJ Diversity & Social Responsibility, and Fast Company World Changing Ideas lists
- We’ve got support. Our investors include SoftBank, Volvo Group Venture Capital, SignalFire, GLP Capital Partners, and GV (formerly Google Ventures)
- Efficiency is in our DNA. Our mission is to reinvent North America’s $2-trillion freight industry by relentlessly eliminating waste and inefficiency
- Algorithms drive our sustainable shared truckload solution. Behind our carbon neutral shared truckload service is world-class tech (and a lot of sweat)
- We walk the talk. We make a positive impact in everything we do; our B Corporation certification is proof. We were the first B Corp in our industry
- We ask a lot of our people, but take care of them. Our team has a lot to prove and the attitude to do it. Join our high-performance, high-care culture
- Pandemics aside, we offer flexible work schedules. Knowing you have a life outside of work, we won’t ask you to do your job from the office five days a week
This position is located at Flock Freight HQ in San Diego, CA or Remote.
Flock Freight is looking for an experienced engineer who is passionate about bui lding backend applications that are highly performant and the infrastructure that makes this possible. The infrastructure team empowers the rest of the Technology organization to ship high-quality code as fast as possible to make the freight world a better place.
The ideal candidate is a thought-leader who will drive key architectural decisions and implement them in collaboration with the Technology organization.
A successful candidate is trusted by engineers and the rest of the Technology organization, capable of tackling complex technical problems to meet the increasing demands of the business. They will lead the initiative to define and execute on the backend infrastructure roadmap, deliver backend products, shared components and infrastructure that produce measurable results in productivity and performance.
- Optimize backend systems and business layer to achieve sub-second processing times with high concurrency for most common application workflows
- Make it easy to build new features that are able to leverage the same patterns to achieve sub-second processing times
- Build and maintain common services/frameworks for: Caching, Queueing, Real-time Updates
- Build tools to measure, monitor and optimize our backend performance and ensure high availability
- Drive standardization of backend monitoring
- Define and evangelize best practices for backend development
- 8+ years of experience as a Software Engineer with excellent knowledge of Java
- Expertise using popular Java backend development frameworks like Play, Spring and persistence layer frameworks
- Successfully execute on iterative transitions to standardized component frameworks
- Experience introducing and maintaining a performant caching layer, that is easy to use and operate, for engineers
- Lead and execute on technical direction to scale a highly-concurrent distributed system for engineers
- Own internet-scale backend development experience and delivery
- Technical leadership role in backend development
- Expert in state-of-the-art software and system design patterns and OOD
- Experience with cloud-native back end architecture using Docker and Kubernetes