The Platform Consumables Development Group at Illumina is looking for a experienced technical leader to join the Reagents & Assay team. As a Staff Scientist in the Reagent Development group you will work as part of a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team at the interface between biochemistry, surface chemistry, and system engineering to design world class consumables for our sequencing platforms.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Effectively work as an individual contributor, technical lead or core team member on a Product Development Program to develop reagents for Illumina's DNA sequencing platforms.
- Design, develop and launch best-in-class products in a fast-paced product development environment.
- Develop and optimize reagent formulations to achieve commercial levels of stability, robustness and performance.
- Provide technical leadership in the transfer of new processes and products to manufacturing.
- Use expertise and systematic problem-solving methods to troubleshoot and solve complex development issues.
- Manage and professional develop small team of research associates and scientists.
- Independently analyze large complex datasets to drive informed decisions.
- Assist with strategic planning, risk management and process improvements.
- Build successful working relationships across different sites and functional areas.
- Be a strong scientific individual contributor and collaborative team member.
- Writing and presenting reports and project assessments to Senior Management.
Listed responsibilities are an essential, but not exhaustive list, of the usual duties associated with the position. Changes to individual responsibilities may occur due to business needs.
PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biophysics or related discipline
Required Skills & Experience:
- 8-10 years' industry experience, preferably in product development
- Experience leading or participating in cross functional development teams with proven record of successful product commercialization
- Experienced in product development processes from concept through development and transfer into manufacturing.
- Proven ability to drive one or more large projects, at the level of a chemical or biochemical subsystem
- Strong background in biochemistry or enzymology with experience in nucleic acid analysis and manipulation including purification, amplification, labeling, conjugation, hybridization, etc.
- Experience with design of experiment (DOE) methodologies, critical parameter management and advanced statistical methods for large data set analysis (i.e., JMP, etc.)
- Experience in successful management of teams, including managing and developing multiple direct reports
- Ability to translate corporate goals into executable plans understanding technical risks, mitigations and alternatives.
- Expert level of technical proficiency, scientific creativity, independent thought, and collaborative ability.
- Excellent laboratory, organizational, trouble-shooting and analytical skills
- Highly collaborative, self-motivated, team player with excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience using or developing optical systems for high resolution detection using dye-based sensor systems or molecular sensing
- Use of biophysical methods for characterization: HPLC, FPLC, LC-MS, ESI & MALDI MS, SPR, ITC, DLS, AUC, CD spectroscopy
- Experience developing functional enzyme assays preferably for DNA and/or RNA processing enzymes
- Experience with programming /scripting languages (Matlab, R, C#, C++, Java or Python)
- Familiarity with concepts of quality and process control (SixSigma and/or Critical Parameter Management).
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.