We are seeking an exceptional candidate for the position of Senior/Staff Scientist, Molecular Biology to join an interdisciplinary product development team at the company's headquarters in Emeryville, CA.
This talented biologist will join our Life Sciences R&D team to work in collaboration with instrument and software engineers as we scale down biology workflows to the single cell level using our platforms to achieve high throughput, automated solutions for assay development. The candidate will work closely with our research and applications development teams to build upon our current capabilities and transition biology workflows to the nanoscale.
The ideal candidate is an experienced molecular biologist with strong troubleshooting skills at the bench where you'll be working with new reagents, assays and protocols with the goal of helping develop them for the best customer experience possible.
- Work within the R&D team to improve new reagents and protocols into finished products for our customers.
- Troubleshoot molecular biology workflows to improve yield, quality, and reproducibility.
- Optimization and QC of molecular biology reagent formulations, kits and customer facing protocols for use at the bench or in a microfluidic environment.
- Work with a large variety of molecular and cellular biology reagents and tools to guide product development (NGS, Cloning, Buffers, Cell Culture)
- Transfers kits and protocols from the R&D team to our field and applications support groups.
- Quickly develop expertise in new areas of study through reading primary literature.
- Work closely with a diverse team of biologists, bioinformaticians, engineers and other scientists to adapt and invent new assays and workflows.
- Present data internally to development teams, management and executives to inform and drive new product development.
- Ph.D. plus 2+ years of additional industry experience in developing reagents or kits.
- A Ph.D. in molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry or related field.
- Experienced in optimizing protocols, reagents or kits for customer facing products.
- Strong hands-on experience with molecular biology methodologies, RT-PCR, DNA/RNA isolation, NGS library preparation including RNA-seq and/or DNA-seq, DNA cloning and vector construction.
- Experienced with analyzing and interpreting data from NGS experiments to generate actionable conclusions.
- Familiarity with cell/tissue culture, cell-based assays, transfection, protein expression and microscopy platforms.
- Excellent collaboration, interpersonal, and communication skills to clearly articulate ideas, problems, and solutions.
- Ability to go "off-protocol" and invent, optimize and develop new approaches.
Additional Desirable Skills
- Skilled problem solver with the ability to quickly identify root cause and corrective action.
- Comfortable learning and working with new technology and helping provide solutions outside of your area of expertise.
- A working knowledge of antibody discovery, antibody therapeutics or cell line development.
- Quickly learn new concepts and protocols from primary literature and develop new expertise in a short amount of time.
- Ability to work in high pace environment, with rapid experimental design iterations and short timelines.
- A team first attitude and ability to function well in a matrixed organization.
- Proficient data analysis skills; experience with data-mining software (e.g. Tableau, Spotfire) is desired.