Job Title Senior Staff Mechanical Simulation and Design Engineer
Country United States
Posting Location Dearborn, MI
Job Description Overview
This position is located in Dearborn, Michigan and is for the development of 48V hybrid and electric vehicle power electronic components and motors. Position reports directly to Mechanical Engineering department and indirectly into the development project.
• Responsible for thermal, vibration, stress, and tolerance analysis using CAD tools (Ansys/IcePak/Mechanical Enterprise preferred) on mechanical package design of components to determine the concept design, requirements, interface definition, and to optimize the mechanical package to reduce cost or design complexity
• Correlate simulation with test results when available.
• Responsible for working on a multifunctional team to design and develop electronic housings, covers, lead frames, printed circuit boards, cooling systems, connectors and sealing methodology to meet the customer functional, timing and project quoted cost targets.
• Coordinate with the Mechanical Technical Project Leader to ensure all internal and customer requirements are met.
• Responsible for the typical activities in development, such as: requirements management, concept development, DFMEAs, tolerance analysis, engineering evaluation testing, CAD Design, supplier interface design consideration, review supplier PPAP submission and product validation support.
• Support Continental Development milestones
• Support customer program development team
• Support customer presentations, interfacing with OEMs on technical topics.
• Support quotation process with technical knowledge of designs to meet specifications and requirements (critical requirements analysis, create project specific system/product architecture)
• Experience in thermal, vibration, stress, and tolerance analysis using Ansys/IcePak/ Mechanical Enterprise
• Experience in design and development of following components: Castings (to NADCA guidelines), Busbars, printed circuit boards, plastic components, Sheet metal design (precision metal forming standards), Injection molded design per ASTM standards
• Experience with wire harnesses and connection systems per USCAR standards, Gearbox, differentials, and associated components
• Knowledge of electric motors, bearings, and associated components
• Environmental protection knowledge including sealability for automotive electronics
Job Requirements Basic Qualifications:
• Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering
• At least 5 to 7+ years of automotive product development experience related to mechanical design and simulation, FEA analysis
• Must have experience working with Ansys, IcePak, Mechanical Enterprise
• At least 3+ years of experience with modeling and creation of 2D drawings and specifications using CAD tools (Pro/E, Catia V5) for Power Electronics & Motor Systems
• Demonstrated experience with hybrid and electronic powertrains including high voltage design awareness
• Design for Manufacturability, Design for Assembly knowledge and experience
• Knowledge of product design for plastic injection molding, metal stamping, aluminum casting.
• Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering
• Knowledge of industry standards, including ASME, GM, Ford and FCA CAD standards
• Ability to assemble presentations for design reviews and product quotations
• Knowledge of Microsoft office applications and Lotus Notes