Senior Staff Engineers for Systems Engineering are responsible for the design, development, and deployment of the overall systems. In the position of Senior Staff Engineer, you will perform and provide technical direction for the development, engineering, interfacing, integration, and testing of complex hardware / software for aviation-based systems. You will also lead and mentor teams to mature their capabilities.
The Senior Staff Engineer will demonstrate domain expertise and skills throughout the Systems Engineering life-cycle. You will provide technical guidance to other personnel supporting complex projects and or tasks with demonstrated leadership in communicating business goals, programs, and processes for an area or business segment. You will be performing in a role that requires strong analytical, problem solving, written and oral communication skills. You must be self-motivated, willing to learn, detail-oriented, and able to work collaboratively with others in a process centric environment.
Additionally, as the Senior Staff Engineer, Key responsibilities will include:
- Maintain expert level of product knowledge and application while mentoring more junior systems engineers
- Develop system architectures
- Provide design and specification development support to consultants, integrators, and distributors
- Collaborate with the development teams to establish solution architectures for our product suite and the needs of our customers
- Respond to functional and technical elements of RFIs / RFPs
- Support Sales activities with technical presentations, requirements definition, and architecture for proposals
- Listen to, understand and convey customer requirements
- Provide technical oversight to ensure developed solutions satisfy customer and business requirements
- Co-develop technical roadmaps
- Proactively initiate engagement with support groups for review concurrence and compliance in Hardware, Software, Quality Assurance, Safety, Reliability, Maintainability & Testability, Manufacturing, and Test
- Travel to project sites to perform start-up, integration, and training services
- Document all aspects of the project details and maintain a constant communication flow with support groups, management and executives to ensure all stakeholders stay current
- Resolve customer issues or difficulties in a manner that is consistent with the company mission, values, and financial objectives
- Maintain professional business relationships within internal support organizations and target accounts
- Provide status of ongoing projects and future projects
- Identify customer's needs and sales opportunities to help future growth
- Master's Degree in Engineering from an accredited university or college with a minimum of 5 years of developing system architectures derived from customer requirements including military applications
- BS in Engineering from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 10 years of experience in an engineering role (including developing systems
architectures and development throughout the entire systems engineering life-cycle)
- Ability and willingness to travel to project sites to perform start-up, integration, and training services
- Solid understanding of Avionics power, data bus, and other electrical interfaces
- Ability to perform system design trade-off studies
- Knowledge of embedded processing technologies including micro-controllers, micro-processors, and system-on-chip devices
- Read architectural, mechanical and electrical drawings and have a solid understanding of electrical and mechanical systems.
- Effective communication, Interpersonal and organizational skills
- Experience in Stores Management Systems (SMS), Flight Data Recorders (FDR), Cockpit Voice Recorders (CVR) and Health Usage Management Systems (HUMS)
- Experience within the hardware domain and embedded software design
- Proven track record with Project Management skills and product development
- Experience working on projects with a requirement for RTCA/DO-254, RTCA/DO-178B/C, DO-160 or equivalent
- Familiarity with Military interface and environmental standards such as MIL-STD-1553, MIL-STD-1760, MIL-STD-461, and MIL-STD-810
- Experience with engineering tools such as Dimensions, DOORS, or Enterprise Architect
GE is one of the largest employers in the U.S., with its global headquarters based in Fairfield, CT and 134,000 U.S. employees as of the end of 2012. Our facilities range from Thomas Edison's original factory in Schenectady, New York, where over a thousand employees work today to build the latest generation of steam turbines and generators, to a GE Aviation plant in Durham, North Carolina, where hundreds of employees will make fuel-efficient, advanced technology jet engines. These locations exemplify an industrial renaissance that is happening in the U.S., driven by advanced manufacturing techniques, ground-up innovation, supporting thousands of new jobs, and making products for export. Want to be part of the renaissance? Join us today.
To stay connected with exciting news and the latest job opportunities from GE businesses, follow us on Twitter!
GE (NYSE:GE) drives the world forward by tackling its biggest challenges. By combining world-class engineering with software and analytics, GE helps the world work more efficiently, reliably, and safely. GE people are global, diverse and dedicated, operating with the highest integrity and passion to fulfill GE's mission and deliver for our customers. Learn More about GE
Looking for a challenge where your experience is valued? Come see what you can achieve as a leader with GE Aviation!
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Locations: United States; Michigan; Grand Rapids
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening.