The Senior Staff Attorney will provide a high level of expert advice on complex legal matters in an area of responsibility, business line, and/or leading a group that provides specialized expertise. Will actively identify and logically assess potential legal risks in ambiguous, unique, and/or complex business situations. Will create valuable risk management recommendations leveraging sound risk assessment information to further achievement of business objectives; effectively communicate information to the client.
The successful candidate’s responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Drafts necessary legal documents and develops conclusions and recommendations.
- Assists clients in addressing situations of high legal exposure or risk; understands overall business risk tolerance and considers it in the context of risk management strategies and actions.
- Creates practical and effective solutions to legal issues with no established precedent; develops creative solutions to unique legal problems.
- Takes the lead role in negotiations that are extremely complex, strategic or sensitive in nature. Understands the business client’s position and needs. Considers the long-term business and strategic consequences of possible outcomes.
- Delivers difficult messages or news, or challenges the client when necessary; responds to client challenges to advice directly and effectively.
- Establishes a wide network of relationships; builds rapport with associates at all levels within the General Counsel department and the business client.
- May train or mentor less experienced attorneys or paralegals on procedural or legal issues.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- JDDegree from an accredited law school.
- Maintains an active license in the state in which the position is located.
- The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of experience in corporate transactional real estate, and in particular, commercial retail real-estate.
- Must have familiarity with the following areas: shopping center leasing, reciprocal easement and operating agreements, development agreements and property dispositions.
- The successful candidate will have immediate client interaction and should be able to excel in a fast-paced environment handling a wide variety of complex real estate matters.
- Has significant experience with a wide range of complex legal matters, practices and procedures.
- Strong oral and written communication skills for contacts with all levels of management and clients.
- Analytical ability to interpret statutes, regulations, insurance policies and othercontracts.
- Decision-making ability to set work priorities and make recommendations.
- Ability to lead, initiate, organize and coordinate complex projects and/or cases that crosses functional or business lines.
- Takes the lead role in negotiations that are extremely complex, strategic or sensitive in nature.
- Has leadership and management skills: team building concepts, motivating and influencing.
- Ability to lead, initiate, organize and coordinate complex projects and/or cases that cross functional or business lines.
- Takes the lead role in negotiations that are extremely complex, strategic or sensitive in nature. Has leadership and management skills: team building concepts, motivating and influencing.
- Sound business acumen and knowledge of the business goals and objectives as they relate to the matter at hand. Based on role, this position understands staff/team coaching and development techniques.