The Senior Staff Accountant ensures the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying and reviewing transactions. Routinely prepare, review, analyze and distribute financial reports, general ledger journal entries, bank reconciliations and other financial records. Supervise staff accountants. .
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (Principal responsibilities or job duties)
- Accountable for ensuring that policies and procedures (internal controls) are in place to provide reasonable assurance that the Foundation assets are protected.
- Provides technical accounting GAAP guidance and support.
- Responsible for accounting for revenue, receivables, cash, investments, fixed assets, trusts, and financial reporting as well as other areas, as assigned.
- Responsible for proper timing and application of revenue recognition rules.
- Ensures that all financial records are maintained in compliance with Foundation policies and US GAAP.
- Assists with the monthly closing process including preparing or reviewing adjusting entries, account reconciliations and analysis, and producing internal financial statements in a timely manner.
- Supervise staff accountants. Assist with hiring, supervising and training staff and managing through mentorship, metrics, performance meetings and ongoing feedback.
- Answer team questions, resolve escalations, and escalate issues as needed.
- Assist with continuous process improvement. Develop new process and procedures.
- Produce month end reports for management as well as deliver ad hoc reports and special projects.
- Participate in work relating to external audits in the periodic review of the Foundation’s financial records and in the implementation of agreed upon recommendations, related to areas of responsibility, resulting from the audit findings
- Other duties as assigned by CFO, Controller or Accounting Manager
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- 5-7 years’ experience in accounting and reporting
- Bachelor’s Degree with CPA and/or MBA highly desired or equivalent experience
- 2+ years’ experience managing staff with remote management experience a plus
- Experience working in non-profit management is highly desirable
- Excellent interpersonal skills; strong written and oral communications; and ability to work with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse environment.
- Ability to work proficiently and productively in a team environment to meet organizational goals.
- Ability to recognize and handle confidential documents and information professionally
- Experience working with external vendors and systems
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced work setting using technology based programs and platforms.