Senior SQL Server Database Administrator
We are looking for Senior SQL Server Database Administrator for our client in Boston, MA
Job Title: Senior SQL Server Database Administrator
Job Location: Boston, MA
Job Type: Contract ? 12 Months / Contract to Hire / Direct Hire
?US citizens and those authorized to work in the US are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor H1b candidates at this time.?
- The primary responsibilities of the Microsoft SQL Server Senior Database Administrator will be to perform SQL Server Database Administration and Application Development activities with duties including: performance tuning, operating platforms, data modeling, design, development, monitoring, database capacity and utilization, server applications security, archiving, backups, disaster recovery, and documentation based on policies, industry best practices, and customer based business requirements; construct and maintain data systems to ensure efficient data access and usage, security (permission and access) and protection of the data; working on the physical data models and architecture with the team; collaborating with the data stewards to ensure policies, definitions, and rules reflect attributes; perform data integrity and quality audits, developing Database Administration policies and procedures as needed.
- The candidate must also be able to work with a highly skilled team in a fast-paced environment helping to upgrade older versions of Microsoft SQL Server databases (2005, 2008) to Microsoft SQL Server 2014.
- This candidate must have a strong DBA background as well as experience implementing similar projects. The selected candidate will be required to participate in database and impacted application analysis. Upon signoff of the analysis, the candidate is expected to create DBA scripts and execute necessary steps to upgrade the database to the new environment. The candidate will need to work in a tight cross team collaboration to ensure undisruptive business operation during the upgrade.
RESPONSIBILITIES include, but not limited to, the following:
- Managing and maintaining the current database deployment process
- Managing and maintaining user set up / access
- Scripting and troubleshootingdatabase code fixes
- Troubleshooting performance issues
- Perform some Data Analysis
- Plan, allocate, install, and configure SQL Servers (with appropriate patch level)
- Plan and implement development, staging, and production database environments
- Plan, implement, and maintain Backup and Disaster Recovery solutions
- Plan, create, implement, monitor, and maintain backups; restore databases as requested
- Plan, create, implement, and maintain database maintenance plans, including DBCC, defragging indices, etc.; including all supporting documentation.
- Plan, monitor, request allocation and maintain appropriate amounts of disk storage for all SQL Servers; communicate storage estimates to Network Solutions group
- Ensure optimal database and/or server performance, availability, and capacity utilization through proper server configuration, hardware recommendations, software utilities (e.g. defrag utility), individual issue resolution, etc.
- Maintain proper patch levels on SQL Servers
- Provide technical support, troubleshooting and resolution for database related issues
- Create new databases as requested
- Review query plans, optimize index usage, perform TSQL code review and optimization as needed
SQL Server Security Administration:
- Maintaining proper server, database and data access controls
- Perform internal securityaudits and scans, identify vulnerabilities
- Plan and recommend SQL Server security strategy
- Organize and facilitate external audits
- Develop comprehensive understanding of current database systems
- Participate in strategic planning of databasetechnology usage such as SQL Server version levels, hardware levels, job automation, failure notifications, server monitoring, etc.
- SQL Server Upgrades
- Install and configure new SQL 2014 Servers (both stand alone and clustered)
- Install and configure new SQL 2014 SSRS, SSAS, SSIS
- Perform database upgrades
- Perform and manage SQL server database backups
- Analyze database and application dependencies
- Setup procedures to proactively monitor databases from a performance, diagnostic and capacity management perspective
- Detect and troubleshoot SQL Server related CPU, memory, I/O, disk space and other resource contention
- Assess risks and plan upgrading strategy
- Be active team collaborator and contributor
- Create documentation
- The candidate must have ten or more years of experience as a Microsoft SQL Server Database Administrator
- The candidate must have experience in the upgrade of SQL Server databases
- Proficiency in all DBA tasks with Microsoft SQL Server versions 2000 thru 2014
- Proficiency in the configuration and use of the SQL Server Monitoring tools preferably Redgate
- Expert knowledge of SSIS, SSRS and SSAS (minimum of 10 years experience)
- Understanding and ability to implement databasesecurity best practices
- Excellent attention to details as well as an ability to see a big picture
- Ability to work on agile projects
- The candidate must have strong analytical, detailed, problem solving, troubleshooting, and organizational skills
- Solid oral and written communications skills with technical and non-technical individuals in a positive and professional manner in a highly dynamic environment.
- Familiarity with all phases of the software development life cycle while working within a software development organization.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision and guidance.
- A Bachelor?s degree or equivalent combination of experience and education is required.
- Minimum of five years?experience with T-SQL and SQL Server Management Studio within a SQL Server environment, ranging from SQL Server 2005, 2008 & 2012. Good knowledge of MSSQL Server 2014.
- Experience with configuration management tools, i.e. Visual SourceSafe, Team Foundation.
- Minimum 5years?experience with a scripting or .Net language for managing SQL command files and C# programs used in an automated database build environment.