Senior Specialist, Public and Media Relations
Habitat for Humanity International's Communications department is looking for a Public and Media Relations Senior Specialist. The PR & Media Relations Senior Specialist executes Habitat for Humanity’s PR and media strategies and tactics with a primary focus on national media. The position is responsible for conducting media outreach regarding Habitat's news, programs, events and initiatives; coordinating incoming media requests; drafting media materials including but not limited to news releases, media alerts, contributed articles and fact sheets; drafting key messages and talking points for Habitat spokespeople; assisting with media training; providing PR counsel to Habitat affiliates as necessary and requested; monitoring Habitat's media coverage and providing recommendations and analysis based on the coverage; and providing general support to the PR and Media Relations team.
• Develop and execute PR strategies for Habitat for Humanity International initiatives, events, disaster response efforts and corporate partner news; working in coordination with the PR team as well as key internal stakeholders.
• Provide crisis communications and media relations counsel to Habitat affiliates as necessary or requested. This includes creating a communications plan, drafting messaging and talking points, and providing media training to affiliate spokespeople.
• Identify proactive media opportunities and conduct outreach that can generate additional positive media coverage for Habitat and incorporate its key messages.
• Manage and coordinate responses for media inquiries, surveys and corporate communication requests by providing general information, partnership details, financial and fundraising data, and photos; selecting appropriate subject matter experts; and arranging media interviews. Establish and maintain effective relationships with media.
• Draft media materials including press releases, media advisories, fact sheets and content for inclusion on Habitat’s website, social media pages and internal/external publications. Manage outreach, dissemination and evaluation processes of Habitat news through proactive pitching, target audience selection, media reporting and news distribution on wires and Habitat’s list servers, websites and publications.
• Monitor Habitat for Humanity's media coverage, including providing quarterly metrics and analysis.
• Lead media training and facilitate message briefings to prepare CEO, senior leadership, directors and managers for media and corporate communications requests. Develop and provide key messages and talking points.
• Manage vendor relationships, including media monitoring services and newswire vendors.
· Collaborates with various internal HFHI departments for input as media opportunities and inquiries arise, including but not limited to Partner Communications, RD, US Office, RPRU and Finance.
· Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience`
· At least 5 years’ experience of directly related professional experience
• Proven abilities to work collaboratively within a team and cross-departmentally.
• History of successfully implementing public relations campaigns and initiatives.
• Thorough knowledge of current and emerging public relations issues and trends.
• Proven experience with providing effective counsel on critical public relations issues.
• Strong knowledge of U.S. media, with proven track record of placements in top news media.
• Outstanding written and oral communications skills, with mastery of AP Style
• Experience with nonprofit/philanthropy media.
• Experience in PR agency or journalism industries, or a combination of both
• Writing samples may be requested