You will be responsible for performing source inspections, plant surveys, and surveillance inspections at supplier plants for gas and electrical equipment. The position interfaces with suppliers, supplier quality engineering and Codes & Standards departments. This position will support Gas or Electric lines of business.
You must be able to travel at least 70% of the time to PG&E inspection sites and supplier facilities and will include out of state travel.
- 5 years of experience in a manufacturing environment or in quality assurance at PG&E
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent work experience
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, manufacturing, electrical, or power systems
- Experience with piping and/or valve inspection (to support Gas)
- Experience as a certified welder inspector (to support Gas)
- Experience with transformer and electrical component inspection (to support Electrical)
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment with “hands-on” experience inspecting or dispositioning defective materials
- Experience in building supplier relationships
- Ability to read standards and drawings and make reasoned judgments on the “quality of the designs”
- Knowledge of variety of non-destructive testing and basic electrical and mechanical inspection techniques
- Knowledge of electrical substation, transmission, hydro generation or gas distribution/transmission equipment
- Knowledge of six sigma quality systems and experience leading Lean Six Sigma events with either internal personnel or with suppliers
- Ability to demonstrate application of "root cause analysis" in working with supplier problems
- Ability to make reasoned decisions regarding part and system compliance when drawings are not clear
- Ability to work in a rapid pace with incomplete information; making decisions about hardware while juggling multiple problems and tasks
- Lead Auditor training
- Perform source inspections (witnessing key tests & inspecting the equipment for acceptable workmanship) for equipment and materials at supplier factories, communicate any deviations and work to resolve deviations to the supplier and the PG&E Responsible Engineer, write up results in an inspection report, and follow up with the supplier to verify completion of any necessary corrective actions.
- Perform plant surveys of potential new suppliers by touring the plant, interviewing key staff members, and reviewing of documentation (Quality Manual, QA & test procedures, calibration records, etc.), analyze the information gathered, make recommendation regarding the supplier’s capability to the internal LOB client, and document the results in a thorough plant survey report.
- Perform periodic targeted surveillance inspections at key supplier factories deemed critical by the Supplier Quality staff such as recent quality problems, changes at the factory since the last surveillance inspection, and known critical processes for the products involved, and document the results in thorough surveillance inspection reports.
- Issue Material Problem Reports (MPRs) and Supplier Corrective Action Requests (SCARs) for assigned suppliers based on group guidelines.
- Coordinate inspection schedules for orders at assigned supplier plants and other assigned purchase orders and provide the required inspection information to the backup inspector, if necessary.
- Mentor quality engineers who are new to the Supplier Quality group.
- Represent Supplier Quality on PG&E major equipment teams.
Requisition ID # 12371