The Senior Software Systems Engineer role is responsible for leading the development of KVH industries' next generation of software for guidance & stabilization and satellite communications products. As an Engineering team member, this person will participate in the entire project life cycle (requirements, design, development, testing, release, and maintenance) working collaboratively with engineering and product management, manufacturing, customer service, and quality groups in an agile development team. As a highly hands-on software and systems engineer, alongside team members, this person will support formulating and designing system software solutions and algorithms using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure the outcome and consequences of the design.
- Analyzes system requirements and leads design and hands-on development activities.
- Guides users in formulating requirements, advises alternative approaches, and conducts feasibility studies.
- Provides technical leadership for the integration of requirements, design, and technology.
- Supports incorporating new plans, designs and systems into ongoing operations.
- Significant contribution to software code development and implementation, planning through assessment and preparation of engineering, integration and test plans and documentation.
- Applies 'system of systems' architecture development, partitioning of functionality among applications and components, and application interfaces/interoperability concerns.
- Applies software development methodologies and structured approaches to system development.
- Applies relevant system engineering development and operational support tools.
- Participates in integrated process and development agile teams
- Analyzes, coordinates and communicates customer requirements within team.
- Projects excellent communication skills to be able to clearly explain the benefits of an architectural approach.
- Ensures that the various views comprising product architecture are consistent and coherent, developed at an appropriate level of detail, and that all changes are controlled.
- Serves as a subject matter expert for architectural frameworks, methods and tools.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- BS degree in Engineering specializing in Software, Systems or other Engineering disciplines required; advance degree(s) (MS or PhD) preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of hands-on experience with BS or 3 years with MS or PhD
- Demonstrated proficiency in software development for mechatronic systems or digital feedback control, mathematical system modeling and simulation, applications/systems engineering, operations and architectures.
- Demonstrated experience in systems engineering effort is required.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing contemporary systems/software engineering tools & methodologies.
- Demonstrated track record of technical leadership, high level communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated record of working in agile or highly collaborative teams.
- Demonstrated success in fast-paced, complex engineering environment.
- Demonstrated record as a results-driven team player and proactive problem solver.