We are looking for a software engineering manager to lead the development of the core of our quantum operating system, in partnership with our principal engineers. Never worked on a quantum operating system? It’s much like a robot operating system, managing feedback loops between sensors and actuators at various time scales to precisely tune an environment where we can perform high fidelity quantum computations. In this role, you’ll help hire, grow, and coordinate our OS team, helping us continue to build the world’s best quantum computers.
The ideal candidate will have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous initiatives, balancing multiple activities with a keen eye for prioritizing for the biggest impact. You’ll be able to balance technical expertise and savvy with strong business judgment to make great technology choices with lasting impact. You’ll strive for simplicity and demonstrate significant creativity and incisive judgment. You'll enjoy learning technical topics, working across multiple business streams, and be uniquely positioned to help us reach the next horizon in secure quantum computing.
As the software engineering manager leading our core OS, you will…
Get hands on:
- Ensure high quality, scalable, well-tested software through architecture and code reviews
- Provide technical expertise in building robust and well-engineered software solutions
- Own the engineering roadmap for your team
- Grow a team of Software Engineers with deep expertise working with hardware and automation
- Lead the team through identification and negotiation of product scope and schedule
- Effectively self-manage technical roadmaps, multiple projects, priorities, deadlines, and deliverables
- Identify, track and mitigate execution roadblocks and technical risks
- Assist in the career development of others, including performance assessments for mid-year and end-of-year reviews, and providing mentorship on advanced technical issues
- Work with cross-functional teams to make forward looking engineering choices, between the cloud platform that feeds jobs to our OS and the real-time subsystem that executes programs on behalf of the OS
- Provide clear, concise communication to management, product development teams, and customers
- Collaborate and communicate with physicists, designers, electrical engineers, external vendors, and other software engineering managers
- Drive continuous improvement to an established product development process
In your first three months, you’ll be helping hire key staff to scale this function, and defining the technical vision for the next year—and beyond.
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, or related field, or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience
- 10+ years programming experience in Go, Rust, or C++, or similar systems-level programming language
- Comfort in resource-constrained, multithreaded execution environments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven working experience with highly-structured data
- Experience in working with technical experts outside of traditional software engineering, particularly electrical engineers and physicists
- Knowledge of team management best practices and demonstrated experience building and scaling effective teams
- Empathy and customer focus: you'll work closely with our internal team of physicists who depend on our software every day
You’d be a great fit with:
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statics, Physics, Electrical Engineering or a related degree
- 10+ years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience
- Experience with embedded systems
- A background in digital signal processing, control theory, machine learning and/or mathematical optimization.