As a Software Engineer in Data Reliability Engineering, you will be part of an enabling technology team that empowers Xeros across the globe to embed data reliability into our products. You will help improve Xero’s maturity within data compliance by building automation into our processes and providing safe ways to view, manage and retrieve our operational data.
How you'll make an impact
- You'll help build and manage software that solves engineering problems at scale. You’ll work in collaboration with other Xeros to help create and deliver beautiful software to our customers, faster.
- You’ll undertake software application development on applications in our existing suite of products (including new ones), contributing to new or improved experiences for our customers, internal and external.
- You’ll help maintain the standard for engineering excellence at Xero and support your team members in building products together. You’ll demonstrate leadership on best practices, and be a role model and mentor for other team members. You’ll contribute to our cross functional environment by working towards the same objectives, using modern principles and practices.
- You’ll be enabled to seek clarity with technical complexities and be able to demonstrate smart ways to automate. You’ll be able to make data-driven decisions that will release value early to solve Xero customers' problems more effectively.
What you'll do
- Create software - Care deeply about customer problems and technical excellence, develop high quality and scalable software, and coach others to do the same. Relentlessly automate any manual processes. Contribute to technical solution designs that embrace a quality-first approach. Participate in code reviews as a role model for giving and receiving feedback.
- Test software - Design and perform sophisticated testing activities that effectively and efficiently reveal product quality across a range of risk areas and quality criteria. Coach team members to enable high quality testing in line with Xero’s quality strategy and standards.
- Resolve issues - Efficiently assess the causes and identify solutions for development or production issues, and effectively communicate the impact to stakeholders. Recognize common patterns of failure to mitigate issues before they reach production. Proactively participate in incident responses and contribute to post-mortems.
- Engineering standards & frameworks - Contribute to Xero's engineering standards and frameworks. Work closely with the Lead and Principal Engineers to apply standards to software and delivery processes.
- Continuous improvement - Proactively maintain, grow and share knowledge of development technologies used in the development of Xero’s software applications.
- Deliver infrastructure in a production environment - Champion automation of delivery processes. Coach and support engineers to ensure all software is running as expected and proactively works to prevent customer facing problems.
- Modern software and delivery practices - Be a proactive champion of agile and delivery practices who coaches and develops others in this space in order to ensure a consistent approach to ways of working.
- Recruitment - Participate in interviews and recruitment processes.
What you'll bring with you
- High level of experience with C# (.NET Core and/or .NET 5.0 preferred).
- Proven ability to contribute to internal ecosystems, build SDKs and libraries to enable other teams to integrate with their products.
- Able to maintain, update and document team APIs.
- Able to make major code design decisions for individual products.
- Able to debug across the entire Xero technology stack to unblock the team.
- Highly proficient in the architecture and implementation of distributed systems. Ability to refactor complex, monolithic systems into scalable, resilient components.
- Proficient with CI/CD concepts and tooling.
- Ability to review and coordinate team processes to improve quality and strengthen feedback loops.