Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, we are a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about building products that help developers quickly identify performance issues in their cloud infrastructure.
As a Senior Software Engineer within the Insights team, you will be thinking about how to present infrastructure performance data as simple, configurable monitoring and alerting tools for our customers. Reporting to the Engineering Manager for Insights service, you'll work closely with engineering, infrastructure and product to create pipelines of data that map trends in our customer’s architecture. You will decide how that data is visualized within our Cloud control panel, and how our customers can easily create alerts based off of that data.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Processing streaming metrics from DigitalOcean infrastructure, creating pipelines of data for customers to alert on and monitor their systems
- Leading the development of our Cloud control panel, creating data visualization tools and time series metrics
- Architecting distributed systems written in languages such as Go, Rails, NodeJS and Ember JS.
- Leading other engineers to build performant systems, that take into account testing, CI/CD, monitoring, alerting, build pipelines and deployment to multiple systems.
- Collaborating with team leads across DigitalOcean engineering to find improvements to our internal systems, and provide better visibility into dependencies
- Finding emerging tools, trends and methodologies and showing your team how to integrate them against existing systems and processes
- Contributing back to the open source software that we rely on.
What We’ll Expect From You:
- 5+ years of experience creating software that consumes or generates large amounts of data, demonstrating a high level of reliability and performance
- A great influencer, interfacing with Product Managers, Engineers and stakeholders from various parts of the business to help build product and technical roadmaps
- The ability to make complex technical decisions that not only affect your team, but your department or DigitalOcean engineering as a whole
- A healthy respect for tests, and their relationship with distributed architectures and continuous integration
- Proficiency with the use of datastores like MySQL, Postgres and Redis, and tools like Kafka that help stream large datasets
- Expertise in configuring Docker and/or Kubernetes, and CI/CD pipelines like Concourse
- Comfort working on a remote team across multiple time zones, often communicating over Slack or thru Google Hangouts
- The ability to independently administer project tracking tools like JIRA and Confluence, and motivation to keep tasks up-to-date until completion
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.