At Sonos we are passionate about creating and delivering the finest HiFi audio systems in the world to our customers. Our products stream all the music on earth, in every room, wirelessly, and you control it all from the palm of your hand. As a Senior Software Engineer on the Wireless Networking Team, you will be responsible for enhancing and maintaining the industry’s most innovative embedded audio processing and networking solution for streaming audio around the home.
You will work with some of the brightest minds in the business across multiple disciplines of software, hardware, acoustics and WiFi technologies. You will have fun and innovate every day in our fast paced and creative environment.
As a company, we truly value creativity and innovation. As part of our commitment to a curious and creative environment, we dedicate one week every quarter for employees to explore, develop, and pitch their ideas in company-wide Hack Weekevents. If you love music, solving challenging software problems, and doing things the right way every time, we’d like to talk to you!About You
Our band is large. And while there’s plenty of room for all kinds of personalities and skill sets to succeed, there are certain qualities that will help you thrive here.
Like a never-accept-less work ethic. An exceptionally low ego-to-talent ratio (none of the first, tons of the latter). A relentless craving to push past your limits and try new things. The smarts and the humble confidence to take on big challenges, make mistakes fast and early, embrace tough feedback, then recover quickly with fresh, startlingly perfect solutions. A fearless willingness to defend great work. And a tendency to totally geek out on music.
If this sounds like you, read on and let’s connect soon.
What You’ll Do As a senior software engineer on the wireless networking team, you will be responsible for enhancing and maintaining the industry’s most innovative networking solution for streaming audio around the home.
- Use your knowledge of the C programming language, Linux kernel module development, and network device drivers, to add support to Sonos products for the latest, highest performing wireless networking hardware.
- Use your understanding of IEEE 802.11, Ethernet, and network organization and routing algorithms to improve the performance and scale of the Sonos wireless network.
- Work with the rest of the Player software development team to understand the audio streaming application software being built on top of WiFi and suggest ways in which the higher-level software may make most efficient use of the underlying network.
- Collaborate with software engineering and user experience teams to design and deliver unique, innovative new features that delight our customers.
- Work closely with the Hardware and System Software teams to optimize Sonos platform performance, maintaining our market position as the most advanced audio hardware system in the world.
- Provide Sonos Customer Support technical assistance such as training and debugging problems in the field.
Skills You’ll Need
- Expert C developer, with strong problem solving skills.
- Experience with developing, optimizing and maintaining embedded systems.
- Strong knowledge of one or more of the following:
- Linux kernel development and debugging.
- TCP/IPnetworking internals.
- IEEE 802.11/WiFi or wireless mesh networking.
- Experience using formal development processes and tools.
- Track record of shipping reliable, extensible and maintainable software.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Thrives in fast-paced, results oriented environment.
- 5+ years of experience in software development.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, ElectricalEngineering, Mathematics, or related discipline.