Fastly helps the world's most popular digital businesses keep pace with their customer expectations by delivering fast, secure, and scalable online experiences. Businesses trust Fastly to accelerate the pace of technical innovation, mitigate evolving threats, and scale on demand. Founded in 2011, Fastly powers online destinations including Airbnb, GitHub, Alaska Airlines, Pinterest, Vimeo, The Guardian, and The New York Times.
The worldwide cloud services market is projected to grow rapidly to $236 billion in 2020, according to Forrester, Inc. As more and more businesses move operations to the cloud, Fastly is well positioned to continue increasing CDN, cloud networking and cloud security market share with edge cloud services that reach beyond content delivery.
We're building a better Internet. Come join us.
Senior Software Engineer - Web Application Firewall
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the team responsible for building and maintaining Fastly's Web Application Firewall product.
Fastly's Web Application Firewall protects customers by providing a continuously updated set of rules to detect and deny malicious requests directed at their web applications. We process these requests in Fastly's edge cloud, before they ever reach our customers.
As a WAF Engineer, you'll be responsible for implementing new WAF features, keeping protection up to date by writing new rules and updating existing ones, and maintaining and improving the tools we use every day to streamline this process. You'll be a critical member of a small team working on a rapidly growing product.
What You'll Do
- Employing your experience developing and maintaining robust, security-focused software to tackle maintenance of existing applications
- Develop new WAF features from whiteboard through to production
- Contribute ideas for iterative improvements to both code and culture
- Write Ruby, VCL and occasionally wrangle some really complex regular expressions or write C code
- Maintain and write new ModSecurity rules
- Contribute to open source projects
- Work on select portions of Varnish internals
- Collaborate with your distributed teammates using GitHub
- Employ your familiarity with the HTTP request/response cycle and a variety of logging tools to diagnose runtime errors and performance issues
- Make improvements to our toolchain to allow us to be more responsive to emerging threats
- Write documentation, review code, and otherwise communicate with your team, both written and verbally
- Learn new things, staying up to date with security best practices
- Make suggestions for product improvements
After you apply…
Here's what our interview process looks like, so that you have an idea what to expect. We value your time, and we'll work to make sure the process moves as quickly and smoothly as possible.
- We'll review your application and get back to you within 5 business days
- You'll have a call with a member of our recruitment team to discuss the role and answer any questions you might have
- You'll have a 45-minute video chat with the hiring manager, who'll talk with you about your background and the role
- You'll complete a brief (< 4 hour) take-home exercise, which will be evaluated according to a rubric
- You'll review this exercise with a member of our engineering team in a video interview
- We'll invite you to visit one of our offices to spend some time chatting withengineering, product, and the hiring manager
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly's home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters tous. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we're not 'one size fits all'. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.