What you'll do at Position Summary... What you'll do...
Here at Walmart, we're driven by an intellectual curiosity that keeps us on the cutting-edge of user design and a seamless customer experience. We're intrigued by the opportunity to engineer the most optimal approach that drives conversions and generates consumer loyalty across every touchpoint of the digital journey.
As a Senior Software Engineer
, you'll spend your days translating requirements into solutions, writing code, collaborating with cross-functional teams and providing us with the insights necessary to think beyond the status quo. You'll oversee small project teams consisting of other engineers who will look to you as a trusted advisor, a subject matter expert who provides guidance and the right tools to get the job done.
Now, imagine doing all the above for the world's largest retailer. That's the Walmart experience. Intrigued?
- Assists in providing guidance to small groups of 5 to 6 engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects by proving pertinent documents, directions, examples, and timeline.
- Provides support to the business by responding to user questions, concerns, and issues (for example, technical feasibility, implementation strategies); researching and identifying needed solutions; determining implementation designs; providing guidance regarding implications of new and enhanced systems; identifying short and long term solutions; and directing users to appropriate contacts for issues outside of associate's domain.
- Manages small to large-sized complex projects by reviewing project requirements; translating requirements into technical solutions; researching and identifying alternative solutions; determining needed solution based on return on investment and value add to the business; gathering requested information (for example, design documents, product requirements, wire frames); writing and developing code; conducting unit testing; communicating status and issues to team members and stakeholders; collaborating with project team and cross functional teams; identifying areas of opportunity; interpreting information and identifying a solution; ensuring solution is sustainable across implementation and use; troubleshooting open issues and bug-fixes; and ensuring on-time delivery and hand-offs.
- Troubleshoots business and production issues by gathering information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause); performing root cause analysis to reduce future issues; engaging support teams to assist in the resolution of issues; developing solutions; driving the development of an action plan; performing actions as designated in the plan; interpreting the results to determine further action; and completing online documentation.
- Participates in the discovery phase of small to medium-sized projects to come up with high level design by partnering with the product management, project management, business, and user experience teams.
- Demonstrates up-to-date expertise and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans by providing expert advice and guidance to others in the application of information and best practices; supporting and aligning efforts to meet customer and business needs; and building commitment for perspectives and rationales.
- Provides and supports the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders; identifying business needs; determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; and adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
- Models compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by incorporating these into the development and implementation of business plans; using the Open Door Policy; and demonstrating and assisting others with how to apply these in executing business processes and practices.
You have and can implement big ideas with a positive attitude. You want to be a part of the team to disrupt this industry and you have these main skills:
You'll really wow us if...
- Extensive understanding of Kubernetes, Helm, microservice architecture and design, and best practices around multithreading, networking, offline storage and performance tuning
- Expert level knowledge and understanding of Java, Spring Boot, and experience working with distributed systems and teams.
- Experience with refactoring/redesigning/rewriting existing applications is a plus (We are in the process of redesigning and refactoring of our current system)
- Ability to build products with focus on testability, someone who loves test coverage (well versed with Mockito and JUnit)
- A disciplined approach to development, code review, testing, documentation and code structure in a team environment.
- A constant desire to improve, learn more and take things to the next level and a passion for adopting the latest features in Kubernetes, Java, and Spring Boot.
You'll make an impact by...
- Your ability to rise above group think and see beyond the here and now is matched only by your intellectual curiosity.
- You come to the table with a comprehensive knowledge of JAVA as well as Agile methodologies.
- You consider yourself to be a student of the world who thrives in an ever-changing environment that holds within it new challenges and chances to prove your expertise.
- You level up when you have the opportunity to teach others and empower those around you to excel.
- Effectively translating requirements into project parameters while working with agility from cradle to grave.
- Helping cross-functional teams to solve for business problems and develop solutions that enable us to redefine a "best-in-class" customer experience.
- Encouraging the project teams that you oversee to work collaboratively and to aim for insight-driven outcomes.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.Skill Set Additions:
About The Team
- Knowledge of technologies used in building scalable, distributed systems in virtualized cloud environments.
- Ability to design for fault tolerance and high availability.
- Have proficient knowledge and experience with Kafka Queues, Cassandra, Solr, Elastic Search, SQL
- Demonstrated knowledge of the following programming Languages: Java, Python, Bash, Spark (SQL, Streaming), Hadoop Map-Reduce experience. Build Manager (Maven), Distributed Version Control (GIT), Continuous Integration (Jenkins) experience.
- Solid devops skills in troubleshooting live applications, assessing performance bottlenecks of applications running on Linux
- Develop high performance and scalable solutions that extract, transform, and load big data
As a member of the Transportation Technology
group, you'll be responsible for designing, implementing and testing code change required for special business requirements. You'll independently handle high impact, critical software/systems monitoring issues, troubleshoot business and production issues. As a member of the team, you'll be able to say that you work for the world's largest retailer and contribute to the development to best-in-class methodologies that impacted perception and drastically changed business as we know it.Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer - By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas, and opinions - while being inclusive of all people.About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service, or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption. Minimum Qualifications...
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 3 years' experience in software engineering or related field OR 5 years' experience in software
engineering or related field. Preferred Qualifications...
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 2 years' experience in software engineering or related field Primary Location...
805 SE MOBERLY LN, BENTONVILLE, AR 72712, United States of America About Walmart
At Walmart, we help people save money so they can live better. This mission serves as the foundation for every decision we make, from responsible sourcing to sustainability-and everything in between. As a Walmart associate, you will play an integral role in shaping the future of retail, tech, merchandising, finance and hundreds of other industries-all while affecting the lives of millions of customers all over the world. Here, your work makes an impact every day. What are you waiting for?
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer - By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity - unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions - while being inclusive of all people. Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum-NWA has something for everyone.