Thomson Reuters Indirect Tax Group is responsible for a suite of highly available, mission-critical products, which enable our large scale global customers to compute tax for every transaction that flows through their systems worldwide. The transactions ranged from online transactions generated from travel sites, e-commerce sites; transactions at points of sale for retail customers; transactions between participating businesses across 190 countries worldwide.
Are you passionate about building large, scalable, highly available, 24 / 7 mission-critical systems deployed in the cloud? If so, join us at our Toronto Technology Centre, and help shape the product's future and take it to new heights.
About the Role
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will:
- Build and Develop –
- Software applications by understanding user needs, functional and non-functional requirements; writing well designed, performant, testable and extensible code, employing the most appropriate design patterns, data structures, algorithms; ensuring adherence to all aspects of SDLC including static code analysis, testing, security scans, all the way through deployment into production
- Software applications with a constant /continuous focus on cross-cutting concerns like but not limited to reliability, resilience, scalability, performance, security and alignment with the big picture of the overall application
- Troubleshoot and debug issues and production incidents
- Be a Team Player –
- Work in a collaborative team-oriented environment, share information, value diverse ideas, partner with cross-functional and remote teams
- Mentoring junior engineers, helping them understand the product and encouraging them to adopt and apply best practices of design and development
- Participate in code reviews and provide constructive feedback
- Be Curious & Innovative –
- Continuously update yourself with next-generation technology, development tools, and apply the same towards improvement in the product and development practices
- Be an Agile Person – with a strong sense of urgency and a desire to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment to deliver solutions against strict timelines.
- Be an Effective Communicator – articulate complex technical issues, and share ideas, participate in peer-reviews, and exhibit strong listening skills
- Take Ownership – responsible for performance, reliability and implement changes for improving the efficiency of a technical component.
You're a fit for the role of Senior Software Engineer if you have:
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals in Data Structures and algorithm design. Strong understanding of time and space complexity.
- Hands-on experience coding in OOP (JAVA, Springboot, spring framework), software engineering and development process
- Experience with relational database systems, e.g. Oracle, PostgreSQL and ORM tools like Hibernate and JPA framework.
- Experience working with cloud-native applications (AWS), understanding design patterns for scalability, performance and reliability.
- Experience building API services using: REST, SOAP, deployed in a distributed environment, and a good understanding of related concepts like distributed caching, strong and eventual
- Experience with Agile/Scrum development methodologies to deliver high-end applications against strict timelines have a strong understanding of agile principles.
- Experience working with cross-functional and remote teams
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- Strong DevOps focus and experience with technologies like Docker, Chef, Kubernetes etc.
What's in it For You
At Thomson Reuters, our people are our greatest assets. Here are some of the benefits we offer for your personal and professional growth:
- Learning & Development:
- Exposure to a wide breadth of leading-edge technology
- Career growth - the ability to work on multiple projects and/or with various teams
- Professional growth and development opportunity through various training programs, conferences, networking events, in-house speaker series etc.
- Access to Hackathons, Unconferences, Harvard Manage Mentor and more, we offer learning opportunities for everyone
- Health benefits
- Savings/investment plans
- Paid time off (including time off to volunteer and extended parental leave)
- Flexibility: We've been named as one of Forbes, Best Companies for Work/Life Balance
- Global Opportunities: We have employees in over 90 countries, working across 3 different industries
- Your wellbeing: We offer a program that focuses on making our lives healthier