OpenGov is a mission driven fast-growth, Series C, venture backed startup (includes Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, Thrive Capital, and Emerson Collective). Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
We have surpassed 1,800+ government customers (and growing fast!) in our mission to power more effective and accountable government.
What's exciting about Engineering at OpenGov?
• Our tech stack is ultra-modern, wild and well-reasoned.
• OpenGov delivers functional/reactive TypeScript applications using React/Redux, backed by horizontally scaled microservices, written with modern, interface-driven, functional/reactive Java 10, built on Vert.x and Kubernetes.
• Our data is immutable and supports time travel, our frontend code looks just like the backend code, and our architecture was once described as Sci-Fi!
If all of that clicks with you, or you've already Googled any of the above out of sheer curiosity, we'd love to talk.
• Build better communities by developing Budgeting & Planning software that drives efficiency and accountability into all types of governments
• Technical project leadership: working with our product managers to translate product requirements to engineering tasks, plan engineering capacity and sequencing, and see the build through to delivery
• Hands-on ownership of mission-critical services: architecture, code, and documentation, through infrastructure, support, and success
• Collaborate with our architects and tech leads to shape the evolution of our platform
• Mentorship of a diverse group of super-smart junior engineers and interns
• Experience with reactive technologies like Vert.x, Spring 5, and/or functional programming in Java or Scala
• Experience or familiarity with building containerized microservices (with e.g. Kubernetes)
• 5+ years of professional hands-on coding experience in backend engineering roles
• Track record of ownership of key components including architecting/designing/delivery of the same
• Proactive and clear communicator, independent and self-driven learner, creative problem solver
• Excited and driven by our mission
• A sense of humor (we're a tight-knit and fun-loving team)
• API design; debugging, testing, and profiling microservices; data modeling (including OLAP in relational or non-relational domains)
• Familiarity with data technologies such as PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis, Hadoop, Spark, Ignite