About The Job:
Tasty launched in July 2015 on Facebook and now reaches over 500 million people a month. We are expanding the reach of Tasty beyond Facebook and are building a feature-rich, easily accessible experience around Tasty content for Tasty’s biggest, most enthusiastic fans. This team will bring a deep, branded experience onto our brand new owned and operated Tasty website and mobile apps. The team also works closely with BuzzFeed’s Product Labs team on a variety of Tasty-specific commerce initiatives like the Tasty Cookbook and new Tasty One Top kitchen appliance, building exciting new products for users and experimenting with brand new revenue opportunities for BuzzFeed.
Within just 2 years, Tasty has become the largest food brand in the world. In this role you’ll have a chance to directly empower a new generation of home cooks and work on products of massive scale and impact.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will help craft the vision and roadmap for an operational platform that enables the engineering team to build world-class products and services. You will act as a technical mentor to other engineers and participate in technical decisions with your manager. You will be responsible for owning a wide range of critical problems and projects by leading projects and driving them through to completion.
You might work on
- Collaborating with a data scientist to design and build a service that recommends new Tasty recipes for users to cook, or a multi-armed bandit that generates recipe feeds for millions of Tasty users.
- Developing a data model for translating recipes, instructions, and ingredients into other languages, or scaling measurements up and down, and across international systems.
- Implementing user authentication systems on Tasty APIs, opening the door for more personalization throughout the Tasty universe.
- Running our Tasty systems and fine-tuning APIs to support the high request volumes coming from our Tasty mobile and web experiences.
- You are an executor. Once you know what you need to accomplish, you can be scrappy and figure out what it takes to get it done.
- You’re experienced. You write organized, high quality code to create reliables services that play nicely with others. You understand APIs and systems and how moving parts interact with each other.
- You communicate well. You use push communication effectively to express your ideas to people of different types of disciplines. You use pull communication well to obtain the information you need to accomplish your goals
- You care. You exude empathy, considering the points of view of the people you work with, and the points of view of our users as well.
About BuzzFeed tech
- Our backend services are primarily written in Python, with some Go. We know that good engineers come from a variety of backgrounds and languages – if you don’t know already know those languages, we trust that you’ll be able to learn.
- We believe in ownership over the entire engineering cycle - the same engineers architect, build, test, deploy, monitor, and run their services.
- Python / Go
- AWS, GCP
- Linux (Ubuntu)
- Source Control (Git)
- Databases (MySQL, Redis, Cassandra, Redshift, BigQuery, ElasticSearch)
- Infrastructure Tools (Docker, ECS, Terraform)
- Messaging systems (NSQ)
- Monitoring / Instrumentation (Nagios, DataDog, StatsD)
- Frontend (React, Redux, T3.js, Sass)
- Service Oriented Architecture.