Signal is looking for a Senior Software Engineer who knows Java and/or Go to work with big data on a distributed system. You’ll be solving huge problems on a small team in our Chicago HQ office. If you want to join a high-performing engineering team full of awesome people (who doesn’t?), you should keep reading.
So, what would you be doing?
- Design practical solutions to solve problems. Write great code. Stay ahead technically. Participate in code reviews, testing.
- Provide the technology for a platform that facilitates billions of requests monthly.
- Working with big data and predictive analytics on a distributed system.
- Collaborate. You'll be working with everyone—dev team, product owners, client services, to innovate and get stuff done.
- Provide back-end connectivity solutions.
- Work to help us be the best team we can be by promoting great architectural practices, improving process and always wanting to learnmore.
- Mentor junior developers
- Participate in Hack Week, Shark Week, demo days. Have fun and experience life at a growing tech company.
A few reasons we’re excited to come to work every day
“We’re making Cassandra scale to the needs of our business (more than 2 billion queries per day and growing)” -Aki (engineering manager)
“Building a distributed Jenkins system, running multiple workers on multiple platforms, to not only run front-end and back-end unit tests, but toalso create a pooled set of services to run per developer for long duration, integration and behavior tests.” –John (engineer)
“Our Cassandra Cluster is 60 nodes by five regions. We’re one of the biggest Cassandra deployments that I know of for a company our size. I love that we’re small but mighty, solving the types of problems tackled by much larger teams at Apple or Facebook”. – Jenny (engineer)
“We're switching from using Mongo for storing pending messages to Kafka. The cool part about this is we're going from mongo's do-anything architecture to a stream-based architecture. This means we can scale a lot easier. Once we roll this out is we go from ~5k messages/sec to200k+ messages/sec on a quarter the hardware cost.” – Cliff (engineering manager)
What we need from you
- Extensive programming experience required in Java and/or GO languages.
- Technical skills. You have experience working in large code bases and engineering features that are secure, scalable and highly available.
- You’re the type of engineer who likes an impromptu whiteboard session to help others solve their problems.
- Sense of curiosity and desire to always be learning.
- Deep experience in HTTP, REST, API design and SOA.
- You are smart and amazing, but your ego doesn't require you to be the only smart and amazing person on your team.
- You are comfortable using source control (Git).
- Commitment to testing, code reviews.
- A strong preference for open source technologies is a must.