As a Senior Software Engineer on our Service Intelligence team, you’ll be part of a fast-moving, high-performing, and innovative team tackling some of the most interesting problems in the company. You'll be working on key areas of the product like services, service dependencies, build and support machine learning features, and improve the incident triage experience for our users in real-time with access to critical information. You'll be working in a fast-moving area of the platform- services and service ownership are at the heart of PagerDuty’s platform, and what all our workflows and best practices center around. Come solve for what’s next and help us build the future of PagerDuty!
- From day one, you’ll be designing, coding, testing and shipping front-end interfaces, APIs, or backend applications and microservices that ensure we deliver secure, highly reliable and scalable solutions to our customers
- Since we own and operate what we build, you’ll collaborate closely with engineers across teams
- We practice Chaos Engineering, so you’ll be involved in our Failure Friday sessions, where we deliberately break our systems, find weaknesses, and fix them proactively
- With 13,000+ global customers and growing, you’ll be solving really interesting technical challenges while helping to scale our product to keep up with demand.
- Participating in your team’s on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise.
Skills and Attributes
- You have a track record of stepping up and leading successful engineering projects.
- You’ve had experience designing & implementing distributed and highly available systems, and have opinions about what works and what doesn’t.
- You are comfortable with loosely defined requirements where you exercise your analytical skills to clarify questions, share your approach and collaborate with the rest of the team to build/test elegant solutions.
- You have a drive to get results without letting anything get in your way.
- You have a desire to stay ahead of the latest industry trends and technologies, a track record of sharing .contributions to the wider engineering community and a commitment to continuous learning.
- You have experience coaching and mentoring others.
- You have an understanding of the importance of empathy: you should have an open mind to others - no matter how senior or junior they are.
- You have a calm, assertive approach to diagnosing and fixing urgent problems.
- 5+ years of experience designing, building, and operating large systems with scalability, availability, and performance requirements.
- Development experience working on customer-facing and web-based systems.
- Development experience with front-end technologies such as react, ember or vue.js.
- Mastery of at least one web programming framework (e.g. Ruby on Rails, Phoenix/Elixir).
- Experience with tools that ensure your high-quality work makes a smooth, automated, repeatable transition from your machine to our staging and production environments.
- Experience working in an agile environment with iterative development and fast feedback.
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of ‘Code It. Ship It. Own It.’ and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly bi-annual company wide hack weeks, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon,
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Owner, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full ‘stay technical’ career track.