Senior Data Engineer
RMS is looking for engineers who are excited and passionate about tackling complex leading-edge software engineering challenges, processing large amounts of data at runtime within the context of a highly analytical, model-based computation framework. Who are looking for to solve incredibly challenging business and science problems real-world problems that will have real impact. We are building a new system from the ground-up that:
* is a highly scalable, cloud-based SaaS offering that performs detailed risk analyses
* is based on Linux, Java, and open source technologies, and leverages the latest advances in database tools, vector processing, hardware-based acceleration techniques, and geographic visualization tools
* utilizes a unique Big Data approach scaling to massive sizes over time, large scale distributed data processing technology, and best-in-class virtualization technology
Requiredexperience and skills:
- Expertise in C++, Java and Linux software development
- Expertise in cloud and open source technologies such as Git, Spark, Docker, and OpenStack
- Familiarity with relational and big data such as Postgres, Hadoop, Vertica, and similar technologies
- Strong skills in analytic computing and algorithms
- Strong mathematical background, including statistics and numerical analysis
- Knowledge of advanced programming concepts such as memory management, files & handles, multi-threading and operating systems.
- Passion for finding and solving problems
- 5 plus years of programming experience; proven track record of on-time delivery
- Excellent communication skills, proven ability to convey complex ideas to others in a concise and clear manner
- Bachelors in Computer Science and 4 years or more years' experience or 8+ years on the job experience.
Desirable experience and skills:
- Experience in performance measurement, bottleneck analysis, and resource usage monitoring
- Significant experience in multi-threading and memory management
- Familiarity with probabilistic and stochastic computational techniques
- Experience with data access and computing in highly distributed cloud systems
- Prior history with agile development
There’s a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year and a 1% chance an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss in the next 12months. At RMS, we build the simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand portfoliorisks due to catastrophes: natural catastrophes (hurricane, earthquake, flood), terrorism, pandemic, and changes in life expectancy.