Ciena may well be the most important technology company you’ve never heard of. The innovations that wow us (driverless cars), and those we now take for granted (the ability to mobile-stream your favorite show) are the products of ingenuity from some brilliant and forward-thinking companies. But those companies rely on Ciena, another vanguard of innovation, to create and advance the underlying networks that bring their breakthroughs to our doorsteps. VR, AI, IOT, 5G … literally none of it would be possible without the mind-boggling technology that makes the internet itself work. For more than 25 years, Ciena has been the global leader in networking strategy, and our technology has been part of the critical infrastructure running within the most advanced companies in the world.
What will you do at Ciena?
We’re looking for highly motivated and talented engineers who are passionate about engineering velocity and automation. You will be responsible for developing the next generation of Packet Networking software solutions supporting Software Defined Networking (SDN), Network Function Virtualization (NFV) and embedded applications for Layer 2/3 data networking on a wide range of host platforms.
- Design and implement embedded software (written in C and running over Linux) to configure HW components and manage HW resources, to support datapath requirements for specific Carrier Ethernet applications
- Provide basic project management for own work or that of a small team, including effort estimation, project tracking, and status reporting
- Participate in various phases of product development cycle – product definition, design, planning, implementation and test
- Review product requirements and customer use cases
- Prototype and evaluate alternative solutions on target hardware platforms
- Deliver detailed functional specification and technical design documents for embedded software architectures and components
- Support developed features through product verification and customer introduction, providing training to field support personnel
Collaboration with stakeholders
- Principal Software Engineers
- Other Software Engineering teams
- Product Line Management & Architects
- Hardware/FPGA Engineers
- System Integration/Test teams
- External hardware and software component suppliers
- Field Support teams
Areas of impact
- Contributing new features to Ciena’s SAOS embedded software platform, enabling new customers and markets
- Enhancing SAOS support for new platforms in the Ciena 3000/5000 family, plus 3rd party “white box” platforms
- Accelerating time to market for Packet Software products
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or foreign equivalent
- 6-9 years of experience in an embedded software development role, preferably in a data networking or telecommunications environment
- Extensive product development experience in a computer software or computer networking field
- Proficiency in C/C++, Linux and Python
- Familiarity with L2/L3 forwarding plane including switching, QoS (Shaping, scheduling, metering), LAG, protection schemes, Ethernet OAM, MPLS, L3VPN and segment routing
- Excellent inter-personal, written and verbal communication skills
- Exposure to Broadcom Ethernet Switching chipsets is highly desired
- Design experience in L3VPN, IPv6, PIM
- Development experience with Netconf/Yang, Data Path protection architectures or HW resource management
- Use of tools and infrastructure such as GIT, Yocto, Docker, Telemetry, gRPC, REST
- Familiarity with SDN concepts, Data Plane operating in a VM/Container environment, EVPN, L3VPN, ISSU What will you do at Ciena?
Rewarding experience. Meaningful outcomes.
Making a difference in people's lives through design and implementation of leading network technologies. That's what motivates us.
A distinct way to work
Free thinking, free discussion, and collaboration are the norm. Expect more satisfying outcomes - both personal and professional.
Ciena values the diversity of our workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender or age.
Ciena is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific needs / accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to any specific needs / accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
What you can expect from us
- You will receive notification of your successful application
- Successful applicants will be contacted by Talent Acquisition for an initial discussion
- If suitable you will be considered for the short list and our formal interview process