What We're Looking For
Engineering at 2U is fast paced, innovative and full of people passionate about delivering on the promise of online higher education via technology. We’re growing rapidly and are seeking collaborative and results-driven individuals to join us. In return, we can offer you a fun learning environment where your skills, experience and creativity will make a material impact on the company’s success and its overall mission. Your tenure at 2U will be a highlight of your career.
We strive for our teams to be cross-functional, self-organizing, and autonomous. You will be working directly with product managers, business analysts and your peers in a highly collaborative manner.
About The Role
We are looking for a smart, collaborative and results-driven software engineer with experience in agile techniques like test driven development (TDD) and pair programming.
Above all, you care about software craftsmanship. You have experience in, and passion for, high-quality, maintainable code that confers low operating costs, high change velocity and is a point of professional pride for you and the team.
You are a competent maker with the following competencies:
- Writing maintainable high-performance code
- Refactoring to keep code maintainable
- Conducting exploratory and automated testing
- Debugging complex problems under time constraints
You have experience in:
- Relating your project deliverables to products you are building and strategy behind them
- Advocating for end user needs in software you are building
- Collaborating with product managers to define and refine requirements
Over time, we expect you to grow by learning and practicing the following skills:
- Providing technical guidance and feedback to other team-members
- Planning and estimating development tasks and short-term projects
- Running deployment software to put code on production
- Participating in application level technical design
- Participating in technical interviews
About The Team
The Online Campus team makes up the core of outward-facing user experience of 2U’s product offering. This is the “face” of 2U insofar as it is the destination for students, faculty, administrators and support users alike to interact with each other, share information, consume content, and perform the necessary operations to complete a degree with a 2U partner. We're currently working on replace legacy systems, open source Learning Management System in PHP, with new tech stack. We are motivated to build a team where members bring sound computer science fundamentals and a diverse set of skills and experiences to the table. We looking for experience and expertise in the following technologies:
- Ruby on Rails
- JSON API
- Angular + Webpack
- AngularJS 1
- Python + Tornado
- MySQL, MongoDB, Redis
- AWS Lambda, Aurora, Elasticache, ClourdFront, RDS, SNS, SQS, and other AWS services.