At OpenTable, we take pleasure in Software Development. We believe that velocity comes from a commitment to clean code and proven engineering principles. We deliver innovative products through rapid, continuous development. Millions of diners and thousands of restaurants around the globe use our products. If you are excited by constantly challenging engineering processes and can deliver exceptional quality in a fast-paced, agile environment, we'd like to meet you. Bonus points if you love restaurants too.
You'll Work On:
You will responsible for building this next-generation restaurant growth engine for GuestCenter, OpenTable's flagship cloud-based hospitality product for global restaurants. That includes a product experience to sign up new or upgrade existing customers, supporting scalable strategies to acquire content, implementing growth tactics to improve the conversion rates of acquisition flows, and running A/B tests on every step in the process. Our team is also developing tools for restaurant groups to enable them deliver personalized service at all group restaurants.
- You envision and implement significant design, clean code, and easy-to-use interfaces.
- You value speed and efficiency in your work. We move quickly with 1-2 week sprints and believe strongly in TDD and automated testing to help maintain our quality and velocity. We occasionally break things - and that's fine. We learn from it.
- Feel your github profile is a little thin? You'll have a chance to improve it. We want to open source as much of our work as possible. You'll partner with developers who are contributors to node, io.js, hapi, ember, and jquery (and probably more - we write a ton of code).
- Are you looking for a greenfield challenge that has senior visibility and support? You will help lead a newly established team and will help define the architecture and approach.
- You have a strong opinion about product and will impact customers and OpenTable's business.
- You know how to balance new information from our customers against technical debt to maintain long‐term efficiency.
- Work closely with product and design partners to form the vision for the product and devise a strategy to get there.
- Mentor and support the other specialists on the team, and work with other teams when necessary to to keep your team moving quickly.
- A focus on backend technologies with exposure to the full-stack of technologies we use.
- Help design and build the tools and elements for a scalable and intuitive process to upgrade existing customers to a new cloud-based hospitality product, and work on new products for restaurants groups, allowing them to deliver personalized service to customers and benefit from data-driven insights.
- There will be some web development, but you will also be working with our mobile team to ensure that the solution you help define scales across all hardware
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- 5-8+ years experience as a Software Engineer with considerable exposure to solving web‐scale problems
- Successful history working with development teams in an agile format, especially in a leadership capacity
- Building a new product from scratch and integrating with new and legacy company services
- Proven knowledge of server‐side web technologies, preferably Java Spring
- Experience working within a distributed REST-based SOA architecture
- Command of your favorite programming language (be it JS, Python, Java, C#, etc)
- Experience building an automation‐focused culture, both in testing and build/deploy
- Familiarity with REST, Docker/Singularity/Mesos, Postgres/MongoDB, .Net(C#), node.js and other technologies.