At STERIS, we help our Customers create a healthier and safer world by providing innovative healthcare and life science product and service solutions around the globe.
To achieve our mission, we believe in investing in our people and strive to build and retain the strongest workforce in our industry. We encourage our team members to learn, grow, and develop personally and professionally. Begin your next journey at STERIS by exploring this and other career opportunities.
- Design and develop software/firmware solutions for embedded control systems used in medical devices
- Perform analyses, resolve issues using problem solving techniques to develop new and innovative solutions for our Customers.
- May represent R&D as NPD core team member
- Solves complex software engineering problems by applying a broad knowledge of engineering principles
- Determines technical feasibility of new product concepts
- Writes code and completes programming, testing, and debugging of applications according to corporate standards and procedures.
- Assist with the design, development, testing and documentation on new and sustaining engineering projects.
- Work as a collaborative team member in engineering projects.
- Collaborate with groups outside of direct responsibilities including other engineering groups, Quality, Regulatory, Marketing, etc. May serve as a contact point for outside vendors.
- Works independently with minimal supervision on routine activities. Receives guidance on unusual/complex issues and approval on plans and larger scale designs.
- May act as a leader by delegating programming responsibilities to junior engineers although not directly responsible for their management.
- Bachelor in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or Electrical Engineering required. Advanced degree is desirable.
- Requires 5+ years of related engineering experience.
- Strong communication skills
- Exceptional team player
- Software requirement analysis, code analysis and risk assessment
- Software unit and integration test development and execution
- Strong communication and problem solving skills
- Practical experience in C/C++, OOA/OOP, Graphical User Interface development, Software Development Tools, Real Time Operating Systems, Embedded Software Development, and Configuration Management required.
- Capable of solving complex engineering problems through accurate interpretation of requirements and test results
- Experience in Lean Six Sigma / (DFMA) Design for Manufacturing, Assembly, Serviceability desirable
- Travel up to 10% (including international)
- Identifies technical problems and provides innovative and creative solutions.
- Shares technical knowledge with others in the team.
- 1Generates alternatives and takes reasonable risks while solving technical problems.
- Generates detailed, high quality technical documentation to capture and communicate designs.
- Creates and makes new connections and different uses for existing ideas.
- Seeks knowledge of the business, market, industry and competitive environment.
- Thrives on change and adapts to leader initiated changes.
- Identifies the connect between own role, team deliverables, and function.
- Completes assigned tasks on time with minimal supervision.
- Informs others proactively about status or issues that affect their ability to meet commitments.
- Uses existing tools and best practices to report and track product and process metrics
Technical Attributes continued
- Balances equally between talking and listening.
- Articulates own position using facts and data.
- Informs others proactively about developments or issues that affect their work.
- Influence primarily within the individual's engineering discipline.
- Uses collaborative communication style to negotiate winwin outcomes.
Judgment & Decision Making:
- Breaks down complex tasks into manageable parts in a systematic, detailed way.
- Debates constructively and accepts ideas from others.
- Builds and shares a unique area of competence within the team.
Creative & Innovation:
- Makes connections among previously unrelated ideas.
- Tends to be seen as original and valueadded in brainstorming sessions.
- Generates alternatives solutions to problems or processes.