Do you want to build a cutting-edge search & discovery platform using the latest machine learning, deep learning and advanced information retrieval techniques? Do you want to apply data science principles to extract knowledge from the world’s largest medical and scientific knowledge base? Do you want to build the future of healthcare technology? If the answer is yes, then Elsevier is the place for you.
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the Health Markets Analytics platform team. We expect you to think on your feet and be able to come up with practical, scalable solutions to complex problems. As well as having deep knowledge in areas related to FrontEnd development, you should also be knowledgeable in all things related to delivering quality data-driven, user-centered products in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
You’ll work as part of a mixed discipline scrum team of individuals centered around a common goal — to provide reliable analytics that inform product decisions, corporate strategy and enable precision medicine with analytics improving search & discovery and powering advanced machine learning efforts.
You will be building a platform for analytics which adheres to standards and is progressively enhanced to offer richer sets of data to internal and external customers.
Shaping RESTful APIs and microservices to build data-driven applications, and helping shape those APIs to support new functionality.
Working in 2 week sprints with daily standups, grooming, planning and retros, you’ll take your turn to run sprint demos for stakeholders.
You’ll be supported by a growing cross-functional team product manager, a business analyst and a tech lead.
What you'll bring:
- You have great team skills, including the confidence to put your idea across and the humility to accept other ideas and approaches.
- Like everyone else on our team, you are versatile with a broad perspective, eager to learn new things and use the best tools for the job. You’re not afraid to venture into uncharted territory and come away with mastery of it
- Quality is important to you. You model contributing code that passes rigorous peer review and support better practices of unit testing, integration testing, code reviews and constant communication to ensure the best outcomes
- You put user experience first when it comes to contributing to any user facing product.
- You are committed to the bigger picture of large software ecosystems; you are constantly thinking about the future when building new applications and features
- You are not afraid to challenge the status quo when necessary, and at the same time respect the opinions presented by your team
- You keep abreast of new technology developments; apply those techniques for enhancing the system and our practices, enhancing code quality and system quality (e.g. automation)
- You work with product owners and other technical personnel to groom and finalize requirements.
Qualifications and experience required:
- 5+ years of Software Engineering experience
- Practical knowledge of search engine and analytics systems, particularly Adobe Analytics/Omniture.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced algorithm design and optimization skills.
- Expertise in data structures and practical application of data structures.
- Expert coding skills including demonstrated rigor in maintaining high code quality.
- Demonstrated ability to unit, functional and regression test code to meet high code standards.
- Expertise in performance tuning and scaling a software system.
- Practical knowledge and application of machine learning and deep learning techniques.
- Practical knowledge of source control and collaborative tools such as Git.
- Demonstrated ability to be adaptable and successful in a fast-paced environment.