Senior Software Test Engineer
Careers That Change Lives
This position has the responsibility and authority to develop and perform test automation verification & validation activities for software and systems to ensure Medtronic’s cutting edge medical products meet our user’s needs and our quality and reliability standards. This position requires application of technical expertise to independently determine and develop approaches to solve complex technical problems with ingenuity and creativity. Work is performed under limited direction.
The Restorative Therapies Group develops life-restoring therapies and healthcare solutions that span the care continuum; integrating technologies and applying clinical and economic evidence to increase patient access, improve efficiency of procedures and deliver successful patient outcomes.
A Day in the Life
· The Sr. Software Engineer in Test is responsible for leading and contributing to the development of test automation for cutting edge products used in the medical field. Specific tasks include:
· Provide technical leadership and mentoring to other software test engineers.
· Create project specific test strategies and approaches.
Designing, developing, testing, maintaining and documenting/validating software testing components and applications.
· Participate in all phases of product development as needed such as reviewing requirements, design, usability, risk assessment, and testing execution.
· Contributes to the completion of work group objectives through building relationships and consensus to reach agreements on assignments.
Interfacing with mechanical, electrical, systems, and software engineers.
· Identify and implement process improvements.
· Participate in defect tracking and analysis.
Troubleshoot, debug, maintain, and support existing products.
· Effectively communicate findings, problems and solutions to project teams and stakeholders.
· Collaborate and maintain excellent working relationships with team members and stakeholders.
· May manage projects requiring delegation of work and review of work products.
Follow Medtronic Navigation product development standards and practices.
· All activities must be performed in compliance with the Quality System.
· Performs duties in compliance with environmental, health and safety related site rules, policies and governmental regulations.
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
· BS / BA in Computer Science or Engineering
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
4+ years of experience with a Bachelor’s degree
2+ years of experience with a Master’s degree
0+ years of experience with a PhD
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
Proficient in scripting and/or programming in python, C/C++ or similar languages
Working knowledge of software design, development, debug and test practices.
Oral and written communication skills.
Ability to work in a team environment.
To be considered for this role, please ensure the minimum requirements are evident on your resume.
Nice to Have
Proven leadership skills and mentoring capabilities
Experience with test automation including GUI, integration, reliability and designing and implementing test automation frameworks.
Software development or testing experience in the medical industry or other regulated industry.
Able to handle multiple tasks/projects and manage priorities.
Strong knowledge of modern, iterative software design processes and development practices including agile and test-driven development.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with business and technical audiences.
C++ and/or scripting language (Python, Perl, Shell) experience
Experience in one or more of the following: SQL, STL XML, Qt, Boost, RabbitMQ, OpenGL, Selenium, continuous integration and other technical tools.
Experience developing and/or testing GUI applications and Medical Devices
Project management skills including planning, estimation and requirements management.
Self-motivated with strong problem-solving skills and the ability to work independently.
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)