ITW Welding continues to build its capabilities in software development as a core competency in digitally controlled welding equipment, processes, and systems. We are looking for an experienced and highly motivated software engineer to be a key driver of differentiating competitive advantages through connectivity, embedded controls, data processing and tools. The senior software engineer will help lead common best practices both on product development projects and on strategic software initiatives designed to accelerate the New Product Development lifecycle.
This position requires a highly motivated individual with exceptional communications and interpersonal skills to influence with collaborative spirit and without authority. Leading, fostering and facilitating software development collaboration within and across divisions in a decentralized software community is essential. This position will also require mentoring of early-in-career software developer talent.
Candidate must be a team player with a positive attitude. In addition to collaborating with other software engineers, the ideal candidate will also effectively work with hardware, power electronics, welding and mechanical engineers. The ideal individual should be accustomed to working with a sense of urgency while balancing calculated risks. This individual must be self-starter and have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Primary responsibilities include design, development, test, and support of embedded device software within the Commercial Welding Platform NPD initiatives supporting both Miller and Hobart brands. A critical part of this role is integrating embedded controls to achieve arc characteristics that continue delivering world-class arc welding performance.
This person will:
• Take projects from original concept through final implementation
• Manage the software design, programming, and development of divisional projects
• Participate in project meetings and be responsible for assigned action items
• Ensure adherence to quality standards and project deliverables
• Identify innovative patentable solutions to end market needs
• Lead topical software roundtable discussions to impact process improvements
• Will provide support and assistance with Central Engineering software commonality initiative
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering or equivalent required.
• Six (6) or more years of experience with demonstrated credibility and track record in embedded programming, to specify, architect, design, code, test, troubleshoot and support embedded applications in a team environment.
• Proficiency with software development processes and tools such as requirements management, design modeling / UML, software architecture, configuration management, software testing, task/issue/defect tracking and review
• Proficiency with IDE, source code control, documentation, and design modeling tools
• Proficiency in object oriented design and programming techniques and experience in a higher-level programming language (preferably C++).
• Experience in numerous embedded controls (e.g. PID control loops, motor control, digital filters, state machines, low-level peripheral drivers, etc.)
• Experience with embedded RTOSes, and embedded Linux
• Familiarity with Agile or Scrum software development process in a team environment
• Familiarity with continuous integration build server technology
• Familiarity with troubleshooting hardware technology (i.e. reading electrical schematics and using multimeters and oscilloscopes)
• Familiarity with industrial fieldbus protocols and other serial network communications is a plus (ProfiNet, Ethernet/IP, DeviceNet, CAN, USB, RS485, Modbus, etc.).
• Familiarity with Ethernet and wireless communications stacks is a plus (TCP/IP, UDP, Zigbee, Bluetooth, wifi, etc.)
• Limited travel may be required.