We’re Raise, a leading retail payments company and the world’s largest gift card marketplace, that connects consumers to buy discount gift cards or sell their unwanted cards for cash. We’re partnered with over 400 national brands, offering retailers a new form of digital payment, while incentivizing consumers to make their money worth more.
Since our launch in 2013, we’ve saved millions of consumers more than $140 million! and have received $147 million in funding from investors including Accel, PayPal, Bessemer Venture Partners and New Enterprise Associates. Raise is headquartered in Chicago with an office in New York.
About The Position
Frontend Engineers are passionate about building well-designed, well-tested, production-ready code that serves our customers. Day-to-day, we improve our code base by refactoring, updating and removing outdated code, and work to standardize engineering consistency in both code and User Interface. Most importantly, as part of a cross-functional team, frontend engineers executes large-scoped, site-wide projects on our microservice architecture. The ideal candidate is adept at working across our full application stack. We’ve built services in Node.js that deliver content and data to our frontend clients through REST and GraphQL JSON APIs as well as internal operations tools built as SPAs with React and Redux to support the day-to-day management of our marketplace.
As a Software Engineer, you will not only be responsible for delivery of high-performing web experiences, but will be tasked with strategizing how our ongoing feature improvements come together. You will have tangible involvement with the direction of our web experience, and how it interacts with the rest of our technical ecosystem.
- Participate in defining and driving the next generation of frontend development on a cross-functional feature team
- Collaborate closely with our Design and Creative team to create a code-driven system of patterns, steer technical feature planning, and defend the need for UI-focused technical work in a product prioritization setting
- Collaborate on strategy as to how multiple team’s feature work folds into a greater frontend ecosystem
- Work alongside back-end developers to create scalable solutions to frontend engineering challenges
- Develop procedures to solve technical problems in a maintainable, pattern-driven way
- Assist product managers and technical leads in project planning and driving technical direction
- Share, mentor, and foster an environment where you and others can grow and share technical knowledge
Skills & Qualifications
- Opinion on responsive design techniques, progressive enhancement, and experience driving these techniques in a large team
- Ability to weigh the costs of, and advocate for, either maintaining internal libraries versus using off-the-shelf solutions or open-source libraries
- Experience working with Microservice, Service Oriented Architectures and/or distributed systems
- Experience in implementing complex UIs that leverage RESTful JSON and/or GraphQL APIs
- Experience in building applications and services using Node.js and/or Ruby/Rails
- High attention to detail in maintaining design integrity throughout the Agile development lifecycle
- Experience using Git in a collaborative setting, with feature branching and PR review
- Experience working with cross-functional teams in an Agile environment
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills with experience interacting persuasively with business stakeholders
- The ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across disciplines, and weigh business needs against technical concerns
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent professional experience
- Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, 401(K) with match that is 100% vested from day one, company paid short term and long-term disability and life insurance
- Flexible Paid Time Off Policy
- Paid time off for volunteering
- Pre-tax commuter program
- 16 weeks paid maternity leave
- Paid parental leave
- Credits for employees
- Company provided snacks, coffee and soda
- Voluntary benefits like Pet Insurance and Identity Protection