Senior Software Engineer (SSE) will work with Exact Sciences business unit leaders to direct the design and development of software solutions that the enable business. As the senior member of the software engineering team, this person will be responsible for mentoring junior colleagues including providing training and conducting performance reviews. The SSE will assign work and manage groups in an agile, collaborative, and supportive environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Review all the software systems in the company.
- Participate in maintenance of and training of team members in Quality Management System.
- Ensure delivery of highest quality software projects on time and on budget.
- Develop, train, lead, and delegate to a team of junior engineers; may be formal or informal reporting relationship.
- Conceptualize new software for Exact Sciences with an eye on future needs.
- Maintain confidentiality and software compliance standards including system security and data assurance.
- Create flowcharts, diagrams, and other documentation as needed to capture system requirements and communicate system functionality.
- Coordinate the construction and maintenance of computer systems.
- Coordinate department needs and make suggestions regarding technical direction.
- Design R&D prototyping.
- Ability to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams.
- Strong professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to document requirements and specifications.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds for approximately 5% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 90% of a typical working day.
- Ability to occasionally travel to Madison, Wisconsin
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Sciences; or High School Degree/General Education Diploma and 4 years of software engineering experience in lieu of Bachelor’s degree.
- 8+ years of software engineering experience with senior-level design capabilities using modern technologies.
- 5+ years of experience with relational databases, SQL, and ORM technologies (JPA2, Hibernate).
- 5+ years of experience developing web applications using at least one popular web framework (JSF, Wicket, GWT, Spring MVC).
- 5+ years of experience with test-driven development.
- Proficiency in software engineering tools.
- Working knowledge of statistical analysis, including data reduction.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Experience in molecular biology, genomics, translational science, and personalized medicine.
- Experience mentoring junior colleagues or leading productive teams.