Senior Software Engineer
5 - 7 years experience • Professional, Scientific & Technical Services
The speed of technology. The influx of data. Shifting regulations. Increased customer expectations.
That's where you'll find DST, helping clients find opportunity in ever-changing and complex customer, business, and regulatory requirements. Masteringcomplexity is a constantly changing and evolving challenge – one that only a few people can embrace and thrive upon.
If you see your opportunity in complexity, then we are the right fit for you.
At DST Financial Services, we believe that in order to better service our clients it’s through our use of data. In our Australia, United Kingdom, Canada and United States offices we provide services to mutual funds, brokerage firms, retirement plans, wealth management, and other financial services. Every day our global offices work together to master the complexity of the financial industry to transform the most challenging tasks into opportunity and competitive advantage.
We are looking for an experienced software engineer to help execute the roadmap of DST Systems next generation core regulatory compliance system. This software engineer will be part of our Vancouver scrum team and fulfill the requirements of our defined SDLC process, which include analysis, design, development and testing of changes to our product.
The software engineer will work closely with other members of the scrum team in Vancouver, product owners, support and operations support staff. This role will also work closely with a broad set of internal teams (e.g., quality assurance, documentation, implementation consultants and customer support) to ensure that requirements are fully met, the software developed meets DST’s standards and that there is a smooth transition from ideation to production.
The software engineer must have a solid understanding of user interface development in a .Net environment. A strong understanding of SQL Server or an equivalent relational development environment is also required. Additionally, experience working with Cloudera’s platform, specifically Impala, Hive and Spark would be of benefit as we move the solution to our new target architecture.
- Building Java based applications to facilitate the application of compliance tests to brokerage and asset manager data
- Building compliance tests using T-SQL
- Analyzing data used in DST’s brokerage and asset management compliance solution, and mapping the data between various source systems while ensuring the accurate importing/exporting and migration of the data
- Building Pentaho Data Integrator jobs to import and export data
- Supporting and performing unit testing activities for user interface, data loading, mapping and compliance test processing.
- Ensuring that proper documentation is captured, maintained, and understood by the business and/or IT partners as needed
- Participate in, or facilitate, business process and requirement sessions to ensure all parties understand the data mapping requirements
- Work closely with various IT departments in order to ensure that existing data conversion and integration needs are being met
- The primary skills required will be a strong knowledge of Hadoop and associated tool sets including but not limited to: Impala, Hive, Java, Scala and Python.
The individual will be responsible for design and development of new functionality and mentoring and leading others on the team. The person filling this role would be expected to have 3 years experience as a senior engineer.
- 5+ years of Java experience
- 5+ years of experience programming SQL on SQL Server or another RDBMS
- 2+ years of demonstrated experience importing and exporting data from a variety of database applications
- 2+ years of demonstrated experience with data analysis and mapping
- 5+ years of programming experience demonstrating a comprehensive application of programming principles, methodologies, tools, and techniques; demonstrated aptitude for performing system-level technical designs. This experience will include object oriented development with Java.
- Linux/Windows experience preferred
- Prior experience with Impala, Hive and Spark in Cloudera’s environment is also preferred.
- Prior experience with Tableau would also be of benefit.