How You Can Help:
Schoolzilla’s Engineering team is responsible for empowering school systems across the country to take data-driven action by delivering timely, accurate, and actionable data. As a member of this team, you'll be at the center of product innovation. You'll collaborate with product managers, designers, and your teammates to take ideas from concept to reality, utilizing your full range of technical skills and a healthy dose of user empathy.
What You’ll Do:
- Craft fault-tolerant data pipelines and distributed systems that can scale by millions of students
- Ensure that timely, accurate data is delivered to the variety of tools and systems that depend on it
- Partner with your peer engineers and product owners to bring new features and products to market
- Design and build connections to proprietary data systems, allowing us to bring new customers onboard easily and cost-effectively
- Define and calculate new key performance indicators for a deeper understanding of student performance at a school or district
- Develop and improve internal services, scripts, and tools that will be leveraged throughout the company
- Establish new patterns and frameworks for quickly aggregating millions of raw data records into actionable metrics
- Craft sample data sets for use in demos and testing
For this role you must have:
- Experience designing, implementing, and supporting modern enterprise-scale ETL / ELT pipelines that are both efficient and intuitive.
- Experience architecting data warehouses and data lakes that are organized, performant, and easy to use
- Proven fluency in one or more major programming languages such as Python and experience in SQL
- Proficiency with major relational databases, particularly Microsoft SQL Server or Postgres
- Experience using cloud-based data warehouses, particularly Snowflake or BigQuery
- Knowledge of modern, cloud-based data pipeline best practices
- Experience working in an Agile software development organization
- Mission-Driven: You feel a deep sense of ownership for your work, and a relentless desire to deliver better results. You are passionate about solving problems for our users.
- A Lifelong Learner: You love learning new things. You're curious and ask good questions. You solicit feedback from others, accept it with grace, and act on it.
- Flexible: You are comfortable with technical ambiguity and welcome rapid iteration
Bonus Points For:
- Understanding of how data is used in K-12 education
- Experience with the tools we use, like AWS (including Glue and Lambda), Apache Airflow, and Docker - plus experience with tools we don’t use, but should, and the wisdom to know when to recommend them
- Experience with ETL management tools such as Apache Airflow or dbt
- Experience working remotely or as part of a geographically distributed team
- Experience working in an an organization the utilizes DevOps practices