About This Role
The Data Platform Team’s vision is a world in which every decision at Strava can be made with consideration or understanding of the quantifiable business impact, and Strava’s dataset is an essential component of the company’s enterprise value.
Our mission is to create self-service access to reliable, consistent, and durable data.
Every day, Strava collects massive amounts of information from athletes all over the world. Both our core business strategies and product vision are fueled by this data. We are looking for a Software Engineer to work on our Data Platform to help us unlock the potential of our dataset and scale our analytics capabilities to support both internal customers and our athletes. You will be responsible for building and maintaining infrastructure and custom tooling to enable the next generation of features and analysis at Strava.
We'd love to talk to you about the future of Strava’s Engineering and your role in it. Please take a look at the links below to learn about the exciting work we are doing.
- The Engineering Blog covers a wide range of topics, from how we rebuilt our leaderboard systems to how we have refined our interview process.
- Strava Labs shows off some of our R+D efforts, and gives a sense of the power and scale of Strava’s datasets.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Work with platform, web, and mobile engineering teams to ensure that data is available for reporting and analysis.
- Improve and maintain ETL tooling and infrastructure to our data scale and our various consumers.
- Design, build, and launch systems for storing, aggregating and analyzing large amounts of data.
- Operate OSS and Homegrown software and work with vendors as part of an on-call rotation to ensure data is available for all of our customers in a timely manner.
We’re excited about you because:
- You have an interest in building self-service foundational tools to empower internal customers with the wealth of insights available via our data.
- You have an interest in driving the future of our streaming data architecture in support of our various customers including Data Analytics, ML/AI teams, and Product Engineering.
Some of our Technical Expectations
While finding anyone with all of the following is almost impossible we are looking for folks with at least a few of the following areas of experience or even expertise:
- Experience designing, building and maintaining, and being on-call for software serving internal customers
- Experience building production-quality systems to work with large amounts of data
- Experience with at least one programming language such as Python, Ruby, Scala, or Go
- Experience building and understanding SQL queries
- Experience with relational data stores such as MySQL or PostgreSQL and ideally one or more Key/Value, Columnular, Streaming systems, or Time Series data stores such as Redis, Cassandra, ElasticSearch, or Kafka.
- Experience with cloud-based infrastructure providers such as Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud
- Experience deploying software with Container technologies such as Docker, Mesos or Kubernetes
- Experience with ETL technologies such as Luigi, Airflow, or Azkaban
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.