As a Senior Software Engineer / Data Engineer come join a dynamic team and have a high impact on big data projects at the leading edge of biomedical research.
The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine in Farmington, CT is seeking a Senior Software Engineer for Data Engineering. This position reports to the Associate Director of Computational Sciences Scientific Computing (CSSC) team that is primarily responsible for developing software applications for scientific research programs.
This role will have a high impact on big data projects supporting research at the forefront of genetics and genomics. This is an exciting opportunity to work creatively solving tough problems with truly big data. The solutions you develop will lead to better understanding of highly complex biological systems, and support the search for cures to cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer's disease and other genetic disorders.
- Leading the development of scientific software applications and systems to support research at The Jackson Laboratory.
- Lead the development of large complex projects with team members including software engineers, bioinformatics analysts, statisticians and scientists.
- Identify and lead big data opportunities within the organization and enhance the team's expertise with managing large scale data both on-premise and in the cloud
- Demonstrate knowledge of a cross section of tools and techniques relating to support of large-scale data analysis
- Function as part of a highly productive software team and will work closely with researchers across all three campuses to develop tools to aid in their research.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in software development
- A BS degree or higher in computer science, information science or equivalent on-the-job experience
- Experience with a variety of database management systems beyond relational databases
- Experience with operational tools such as Git, JetBrains IDE products (PyCharm, Idea), CI Tools such as Jenkins or Bamboo, Atlassian Suite
- Experience with and capable of working in an agile development environment
- Experience or knowledge with machine learning applications at scale
- Experience in identifying and developing software applications in the biomedical sciences and/or bioinformatics and implementing systems for analyzing large-scale scientific data is a plus
- Strong knowledge of Linux environments
- Knowledge in statistics, biology, genomics are considered a plus