Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest games and most compelling interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009 and it continues to inspire us today. Since then, we’ve grown to over 200 people in San Francisco, and with $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground in mobile entertainment.
Our products have been downloaded over 450 million times by players around the world. In recent years, we’ve launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As our community of players continues to grow, we’re committed to building diverse and inclusive environments across our teams, and in our games.
As a Senior Backend Software Engineer for the Data Infrastructure team, you’ll help support and optimize our data platform for cross-functional teams and enable the company to make data-based decisions. You’ll also be responsible for some of our biggest projects, like building APIs for internal teams to deliver recommendations to millions of players in real-time.
What We’ve Recently Accomplished:
- We released the 3rd generation data pipeline for the company which successfully reduced the latency from 24hrs to < 5m.
- We migrated all our infrastructure configurations to the IAC system using tools like Ansible, Terraform, Alembic, Vagrant, and Docker.
- We released a new unified logging system for our R&D teams to start logging within minutes using any client library of their choice.
- After doing extensive benchmarking on several data warehousing solutions, we redid all our pipelines and migrated petabytes+ of data from to Google BigQuery.
What You’ll Help Us to Accomplish:
- Help build out:
- A scalable infrastructure and web tools to support data analysis and visualization for the company and influence what we build for our games’ players (including BI Tools, A/B Testing Tools, Crash Reporting Systems)
- The next generation of microservices for Pocket Gems game infrastructure needs
- Assist in improving:
- Our data pipeline by implementing flexible, reusable and scalable solutions
- Our unified logging system for R&D teams to support unstructured data and BI insights.
- Our data warehouse performance
- Handle petabytes of data storage and improve the performance of the system to process complex queries for analyzing
- Work effectively with multiple teams and functions to boost developer productivity across the organization
- Mentor junior engineers and push for excellence with high-quality code and design reviews
What You Bring to the team:
- Minimum of 7 years of professional experience (including 3+ years backend experience)
- A degree in computer science, engineering, or relevant field
- Experience leading complex projects, preferably involving distributed systems
- Deep experience with AWS, GCP, or Hadoop, and related backend technologies is a plus (or an advanced private cloud, e.g. Google, Facebook)
- Strong skills in data structures, algorithms, software design, and OOP
- Love working cross-functionally and provide reliable tool, data and as well as creative, highly technical solutions to their problems
Extra Gems for:
- Experience in working on dev-ops and/or infrastructure teams
- Experience in working on ETL (data pipeline) systems
- A love for games!