The Custom Analytics team engages in a wide variety of custom projects that delve into the vast data sets collected by Akamai’s servers to provide unique, global insights into what the data means. This position will allow you to work with Akamai’s threat, performance and internet topology data to solve customer directed problems.
You will often need to quickly build prototype systems as proofs of concept or work on enhancing existing projects to add new features and capabilities. The typical project will require you to develop, build, and use tools to collect, manipulate and analyze large data sets. You will have the opportunity to become a subject matter expert in a variety of data and disciplines, as well as communicate your expertise and findings to internal and external customers.
Our projects will stretch your knowledge and assumptions. Ample opportunities abound to give you the opportunity to learn a new subject, technology, toolset, or even a new software language. The ideal candidate will be collegial, curious, agile, and demonstrate the ability to quickly learn and apply new skills in a dynamic and often vague environment.
* Design and implement systems to collect and process internet scale data in a reliable and scalable fashion.
* Develop prototype systems to collect and demonstrate the value of new data sets.
* Support the data processing pipeline infrastructure.
* Manage and maintain multiple Hadoop clusters to support data collection, generation, and analysis.
Required Education and Experience
* 5 years of relevant experience and a Bachelor’s degree or
* 3 years of relevant experience and a Master’s degree
* 5+ years of experience developing software in Python or Java
* 5+ years experience with Linux/Unix environment
* 3+ years experience with computer networking
* Highly responsible, motivated, and able to work with little supervision
* Experience with distributed systems
* Experience with BigData systems (Hadoop, Spark, HBase, etc), principles (Map/ReduceStream Processing, etc), and related technologies (Azkaban, Voldemort, Sentry)
* Experience with Perl, Scala, Shell scripts, Makefiles, and SQL/HiveQL
* Comfortable with front-end API Design (REST)
* Ability to become rapidly knowledgeable on new topics
* Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
* Positive, self-driven and able to thrive on challenges