JOB SUMMARY: The Senior Software Engineer will develop software for the Linux-based Airgas Cloud Services platform. The role may specialize in one or more aspects of the cloud services platform such as the UI but the senior engineer will be capable of devising, evaluating, and implementing major architectural and/or core features for any part of the system. The engineer will also be expected to interact with stakeholders to understand requirements and translate them into practical features or improvements. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Develop new User Interface features for the Cloud Services Portal
- Develop system administration scripting and jobs
- Create or assist with the creation of manuals and documentation
- Create ad-hoc and scheduled reporting and analytics as requested by our administrators using SQL
- Design and implement new database structures using SQL
- Research and testing into new software or development techniques as needed including “proof of concepts”
- Eventually participate in an after-hours support rotation with the rest of the engineers
- Verify, develop, and deploy software releases and bug fixes
- Understand and document requirements, translate them into practical features.
- Pursue relevant training opportunities periodically(seminars, online classes, etc)
- Spot opportunities for and implement architectural improvements to the platform
- Any other projects as assigned by management
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully the individual will need to be comfortable developing software both independently or as part of a small group. The candidate will have an open mind and demonstrated willingness and ability to learn a new system and/or coding languages quickly. He or she should be willing to work after hours or weekends as needed to accommodate software releases. The candidate should also be comfortable interacting with users and stakeholders to understand requirements and plan new features for implementation. Confidence with Linux systems is essential. EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- A Bachelors degree in Computer Science or an equivalent field, Masters preferred
- 3-5 Years professional experience developing software in a Linux environment
- Demonstrable intermediate knowledge of Linux i.e. software installs and builds, system administration scripting, jobs scheduling.
- Participated in successful development and deployment of at least one database-driven application of moderate complexity in a professional setting. Ideally the project integrates a database back end, controller, and front-end UI.
- Experience working with “big-data” type scalable and distributed systems especially if they support telemetry and sensor data and analytics a major plus
- Advanced college level mathematics (Calculus, Differential Equations, etc) preferred.
- Minimal (1-10% of work time)
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of SQL, PostgreSQL a plus
- Intermediate/advanced knowledge of Linux, specific comfort with Fedora, Red-Hat, or OpenSuse Linux a plus
- Knowledge of common Linux-friendly scripting languages(Perl, Bash, Python, etc)
- Able to develop applications in multiple languages and learn new languages as needed on the fly.
- Experience with Linux system administration(Networking, crontab job scheduling, etc)
- Experience with Jira issue tracking software a plus
- Moderate to Advanced Experience with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Comfortable with Google Cloud-Based productivity software(Gmail, Google Drive, Docs, etc)
COMMUNICATION and/or CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS:
- Ability to effectively and clearly present information and respond to questions from employees and/or customers
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals using the English language
- Able to document code and create or assist with the creation of user manuals as needed.
- Able to understand customer needs and translate them into requirements and follow through with implementation.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: