AWS Elastic Compute Cloud (AWS EC2) pioneered cloud computing. We provide virtualized compute on-demand and a feature set that has enabled our customers to scale and innovate, transforming the industry. From startups, to Fortune 500, to major government customers EC2 is the standard for cloud computing.
The Nitro Team is looking for Senior Leader to drive development activities across multiple teams focused on ensuring we can accelerate the pace of server availability worldwide, while continuing to introduce new innovative products. This role will span low level hardware and firmware integration challenges, up through building global services to coordinate scaling and availability of EC2 virtual and metal servers. This role will manage multiple engineering teams, drive critical programs with visibility and impact across all of AWS, and work with a variety of business and technical leaders across EC2. This role requires both technical and business acumen and the ability to own and drive high-stakes decisions impacting our business and customers.
Inclusive Team Culture
Our team is diverse. We drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. We are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network, Latinos at Amazon, Indigenous at Amazon, Families at Amazon, Amazon Women and Engineering, LGBTQ+, Warriors at Amazon (Military), Amazon People With Disabilities, and more.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Proven ability and the desire to work in a cross functional, collaborative and team oriented environment.
• B.S. in Computer Science, other computing field or equivalent experience
• 7+ years of managing complex software projects
• Proven experience managing and developing line managers
• Technical depth in system, software design and problem solving with emphasis on systems development.
• Sophisticated knowledge of modern, end-to-end quality best practices, Test Driven Development, Data Driven Engineering, and similar concepts
• Capable of prioritizing and driving multiple projects in fast-paced environment
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Amazon has a written culture. Excellent writing skills are essential.
• Experience with PC architecture including PCIe, NVMe, BIOS or other low-level systems including kernel or hypervisor development OR
• Experience building large web-scale distributed systems with a micro-services approach.
Valid through: 11/9/2021