JOB #: 18130401 - P
KEY WORDS: software architect, systems architect, systems engineer, principle software engineer, staff engineer, Lead systems engineer, architect, DevOps, docker, Linux, GPU, CPU, big data, analytics, graphics, vision, imaging, rendering, 3D, gaming, medical imaging, genomics, biotech, bioinformatics, cheminformatics, pharmaceutical, DoD, defense, virtualization, HPC, data center, networks, networking, security, python, C++, linux
San Diego Startup Company developing scientific imaging and authentication systems is hiring a Senior Software & Systems Architect. This person will influence new infrastructure and software design and manage current systems and software with the goal of continuously improving system performance. Their products will radically improve the way major government and commercial systems interact.
This is an influential role within a non-political, collaborative, and very dedicated team of smart engineers who are tackling difficult problems. Their scientific-based technology would be exciting for an engineer who is passionate about areas such as genomics, scientific programming, 3D rendering, medical imaging, big data analytics, and high-performance computing.
The Systems Software Architect will lead the design the software infrastructure that manage hardware machines and software applications that process very high-volume computational and graphical data. These systems are hosted in high-security private networks and in AWS. You will apply your deep systems architecture knowledge across diverse infrastructure models.
To apply, email a resume for confidential review to Kanani Masterson (email@example.com). This role requires US Citizenship. You will primarily work onsite in their San Diego, CA offices.
• Drive development methodology, process and technique innovation, and adoption in order to achieve engineering excellence
• Apply exhaustive and diversified knowledge of software engineering principles and practices to provide solutions
• Utilize your depth of experience to quickly try alternatives before a final approach is chosen
• Design and implement imaginative, thorough and practical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems where inaccurate decisions could cause significant delay of projects or programs requiring allocation of additional resources
• Responsible for participating in negotiating the timeframe for completion of group project work, for assigning project tasks and delivery of quality work within schedule and with changing constraints
• Synchronize tasks across groups and guide teams of engineers to solve problems, while communicating status and progress to management
• Enforce process amongst team members while providing technical advice, leadership and direction when necessary
• Work to lead others in process and help them to grow technically
• Ability to look at a problem from different angles to find the best solutions
Salary Range and Bonus Potential:
$140,000 to $ 175,000 base per year
• Comprehensive medical benefits (90% of the premium for the employee and 83-85% for dependents), dental, vision, STD/LTD, Life Insurance
• Pre-IPO Equity
• Matching 401K
• Flexible spending account (FSA)
• Seven (7) paid holidays plus two paid (2) floating holidays equaling nine (9) in total.
• Paid Time Off (PTO): 15 PTO days per year (5 hours per pay period) based on company policy. With seniority, you will accrue more PTO per company policy.
• Candidates must have US Citizenship.
• Minimum of 8 years of Software Programming and Architecture experience for complex systems using primarily Python and C++
• Direct experience with agile/scrum environment is required.
• Strong technical problem-solving skills and enthusiastic about learning new tools & technologies
• Ability to develop overall solution architecture and propose various architectures to suit different purposes
• Display excellent initiative to tackle work and provide solutions and able to communicate architecture to upper management with UML and diagrams
• Excellent working knowledge of software lifecycle with experience in multiple methodologies
• Cross-cultural awareness, ability to work effectively with different functions and seniority levels to successfully influence all levels of the organization
• Has the ability to recognize system-wide issues and design accordingly using your OO design and programming skills. Must also be especially skilled in designing and recognizing flaws in others' designs.
• Ability to coach more junior engineers to produce better OO code and results
• Ability to lead others in database design or to complete complex database projects independently
• Ability to demonstrate significant levels of autonomy and mature capability to define deliverables based on longer term and often ambiguous objectives
• Understanding the entire system or product line to maintain consistency, while applying your innovation and creativity skills
• Direct experience with some a combination of the following technologies (not all are required):
- Object oriented design and analysis
- Languages - Python, C++
- Linux: CentOS (with GPU), Scientific Linux
- Database Systems: Postgres, MySQL, Oracle
- Containers: Docker
- Container orchestration: Kubernetes / Docker Swarm
Experience or familiarity with some / all the following technologies:
- UML, SysML, XML, QML, other XML related tools and technologies
- Network Communication using ZeroMQ, VPN, TCP/IP and Wireless
- Data persistency frameworks: avro
- Neural networks and deep learning: Apache SVN, TensorFlow
- Cloud platforms (AWS, Google Cloud, etc.) and the ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services, including experience with VPCs, subnets, security, etc.
- Experience with distributed objects over Internet/Intranet
• Systems Administration/System Engineer certification in Unix/Linux, a plus
• Amazon Cloud Certification and any other DevOps Certification, a plus
• Familiarity with various scheduling tools and methodologies and ability to schedule tasks for subordinate engineers and keep them on track
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Computer science or related field. Graduate degrees desirable.