Materialize is the streaming SQL database company that makes it easy for any developer or analyst to understand streaming data, answer complex questions and build intelligent applications using standard technology. Whether it's delivering personalized experiences, accurately identifying fraud, building predictive AI, or discovering new business opportunities, the ability to run complex queries on multiple streams of data and keep their answers up to date is critical to making better decisions about the changing world around us.
Who We Are:
The Materialize team includes engineers who were early employees of Cockroach Labs, Datadog, Dropbox, Pure Storage and YouTube. Our work builds on top of Timely Dataflow and Differential Dataflow, both created by our co-founder Frank McSherry, a world-leading computer scientist with decades of award-winning research in all aspects of data.
Kleiner Perkins and Lightspeed Venture Partners. Additional investors include executives from Cockroach Labs, Datadog, and Rubrik.
We are building the first version of the Materialize cloud service, and our second site reliability engineer (this could be you!) will play a key role in shaping the evolution of that service and the future of our SRE team. This role could evolve into a tech lead and/or tech lead manager role.
Questions You Can Help Answer
- Do we use Kubernetes or something else to orchestrate the Materialize cloud service?
- How do we foster healthy working relationships between site reliability engineers and software development engineers?
- What is an accurate way to model capacity for Materialize?
- How do we provide high availability and low latency for customers while managing the workload for our employees?
What You Will Do
- Be a core part of the team that develops the first version of the Materialize cloud service and successive versions
- Design, build and maintain the production serving infrastructure
- Develop custom tools, such as those used for automatically scaling deployments for customers and automatic rolling upgrades
- Drive high availability and low latency through a partnership with software engineers
- Participate in an on-call rotation for our production systems and services, driving long-term solutions to production issues
What We're Looking For
- Professional experience analyzing, monitoring, and troubleshooting large-scale, high-traffic distributed systems
- Expertise with deploying, optimizing, and debugging Linux installations
- Expertise working with AWS
- Experience with one or more of the following languages: Rust, Go, C, C++, Python, Java
- Experience debugging and optimizing complex production systems
- B.S./M.S./Ph.D in a scientific field, or equivalent experience
- Experience with Azure and/or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with production SQL databases
Working at Materialize
* 100% covered health insurance for you and all your dependents
* Flexible working hours
* 4 weeks of vacation
* Competitive equity package
We understand it takes a diverse team of highly intelligent, passionate, curious, and creative people to develop the exceptional product we are building. Our dynamic team has incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity employer.