Ascend Learning is a national leader in data driven, online educational solutions for learners, educators and employers in high-growth, licensure-driven professions spanning healthcare, fitness and wellness, skilled trades, insurance and financial services. We are passionate about accelerating learning while impacting job readiness, employment success and employee retention with the belief that our work changes lives.
Our culture is intentionally results-driven and selfless with a relentless focus on our customers. We believe in trust, transparency, freedom and responsibility with a commitment to meritocracy, inclusion and diversity of thought. Continual investment in our over 1400 employees is also a core principal realized through ongoing professional development and providing opportunities to grow, develop and lead. Ascend Learning is headquartered in Burlington, MA with additional office locations and remote workers in cities across the U.S. and in the U.K.
The Senior Security Engineer will contribute to achievement of P&L objectives for the business through providing a single point of accountability for Technology & Operations deliverables. In this critical role the candidate will provide technical security leadership across multiple security domains to ensure IT security best practices and compliance requirements are met for both industry and regulatory standards (FERPA, SOC2, NIST) when applicable. The candidate will provide deep information security expertise for projects within any of the information systems disciplines and has the ability to provide security guidance to multiple technical teams. This individual will possess a thorough understanding of emerging technologies and our current business strategy and is able to offer and recommend solutions. Maintains recognized expertise in technology disciplines relevant to Ascend’s security needs.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Reports to the Director of Information Security & IT Compliance. Collaborates with Technology Engineers, Developers, Architects, IT Compliance, Legal, and HR associates to align security requirements to meet business objectives.
- Represents the Information Security organization on the Ascend Architecture Council and provides oversight to application implementations through ongoing security design reviews and risk assessments in order to build security into solutions and to ensure compliance with industry and regulatory standards.
- Leads technology risk assessments for acquisitions and provides security support to IT Compliance Analysts during vendor risk assessments.
- Viewed as a Security expert across the organization, working with Architects, Developers, Project Managers and various technology team members to convey security best practices and communicate Ascend security requirements.
- Owns, maintains and matures the Secure Architecture review processes and documentation.
- Provides technology security expertise and recommendations on strategies and tools for key programs and issues.
- Assists with the implementation, configuration and operations of various security tools as required.
Skills and Abilities
- Self-starter and ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Proactive attitude towards anticipating problems, implementing solutions, and accomplishing goals.
- Highly detail oriented, process minded and driven by continuous improvement attitude.
- Ability to work under pressure in order to meet project deadlines or resolve security incidents.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as strong verbal and written communication skills; comfortable leading meetings and cross-team efforts.
- Comfortable educating employees on security best practices with technical and non-technical backgrounds.
- Willingness to perform various roles when required in order to achieve results.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or related field preferred.
- Applicants should possess 10+ years of professional, industry related experience in Information Security, IT Compliance or Application Development.
- Seven years demonstrated success in developing, operating, leading and implementing security solutions and functions. Relevant Examples include – Vulnerability Management, Application Pen Testing, Cloud Security, Data Security or Threat Management/Intelligence.
- Strong experience independently developing processes to solve complex issues and implementing new security programs based on current industry best practices.
- Experience working with application security vulnerabilities and technologies is required.
- Three or more years’ participating in vendor and internal security assessments is required.
- Two or more years’ experience working in a security operations role is desired.
- Certifications: CISSP, CISM, CEH or equivalent preferred.
Ascend Learning, LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (M/F/Vets/Disabled). No agency or search firm submissions will be accepted. Applications for U.S. based positions with Ascend Learning, LLC must be legally authorized to work in the United States and verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire.