Job Description and Specific Responsibilities
The Senior Scientist, Skin Biology for Consumer Care will be responsible for the discovery and research development projects of novel and innovative biological solutions in personal care.
Application areas for these novel products will include skin care, hair care and other adjacent markets. Zymergen is planning to move the lines in the world of Consumer Care based on its unique and distinctive capabilities applicable to Industrial Biotechnology. This position offers a unique possibility to lead that change.
Immediate responsibilities include:
- The main focus of this position is to provide scientific assessment of the efficacy and safety of novel personal care bioactives and microbiome solutions
- Actively participate on ideation/brainstorming
- lead screening and discovery process including assay development
- Independently write plans and reports to support the marketing team for substantiation of solutions (efficacy, positioning etc)
- Work with internal or external groups to assess the efficacy and mode of action of bioactives for improving skin health
- Organize and implement product safety studies internally or externally : Provide assessment of product risk, based on stability, efficacy and safety studies
- Prepare technical reports, Communicate and Present data internally and to clients
- Keep up with current knowledge by reviewing the findings of other researchers and by attending conferences
- publish research papers, and make recommendations based on findings
- Present research findings to scientists, non-scientist executives, engineers, other colleagues, and the public as needed
- May serve as principal scientist on a project, Develop and troubleshoot protocols as needed.
- Manage project timelines/scheduling
- Will interact with fellow biologists, metagenomics, bioinformatics experts and application scientists
- Ph.D in Biochemistry, Skin Pharmacology, Dermatology, Molecular Biology or a related field, or a Masters in a related field + 10 or more years of experience
- Recognized leader and domain expert in Personal Care (Skin Pharmacology, microbiology, microbiome) with outstanding academic credentials and recognitions
- Proven experience with serving CPGs Customers or proven experience within a CPG global organization is a plus
- You have an innovative and curious mindset capable of leading world-class complex research projects; a strong drive