The Senior Scientist, R&D initiates and executes pre-clinical scientific research and development in the Molecular Biology Development team. Focuses on evaluating new technologies for applications in Oncology and NIPT. Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions, products and problems. Plans and executes laboratory research. Analyzes data and interprets results. Maintains broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories.
- Contributes substantially and intellectually to research or development
- Leads projects to create and develop novel nucleic acid based tests; including planning, feasibility testing, protocol development, optimization, verification, validation, and launch
- Performs duties largely independent from the manager
- Leads in-lab efforts to create and develop novel nucleic acid-based diagnostic tests
- Thoroughly comprehends the objectives and vision of the work
- Independently develops plans, generates and advances new ideas
- Independently designs and executes moderate to high complexity experiments
- Coordinates the execution and analysis of effective experiments with statistics and bioinformatics teams
- Performs basic data analysis (e.g. R, JMP, Excel)
- Documents research progress under a Quality Management System
- Interacts with on-site CLIA lab, Sequencing and Process Development groups
- Works with partners and outside collaborations
- Communicates progress directly with colleagues and senior management
- This role works with PHI on a regular basis both in paper and electronic form and has access to various technologies to access PHI (paper and electronic) in order to perform the job
- The employee must complete training relating to HIPAA/PHI privacy, General Policies and Procedure Compliance training and security training as soon as possible but not later than the first 30 days of hire.
- Must maintain a current status on Natera training requirements.
- The employee must pass a post-offer criminal background check.
- B.S. with a minimum of 6 years of industry experience, or
- M.S with a minimum of 3 years of industry experience, or
- Ph.D. with a minimum of 1 year of industry experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Skilled at writing clear plans, reports and SOPs
- Must have experience with next-generation sequencing (NGS) and DNA/RNA molecular biology.
- Experience with nucleic acid technologies relating to PCR, qPCR, multiplex PCR, digital PCR, NGS and microarrays
- Track record of originating, developing and productizing novel nucleic acid techniques and tests
- Strong research skills with a history of innovation
- Experience developing tests in oncology, NIPT or liquid biopsy a plus
- Proven success in collaborative and individual projects
- Demonstrated success in applying independent scientific judgment in experimental design and analysis
- Very strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Adept with Excel and basic statistical analysis
- Bioinformatic capabilities, programming (e.g. PERL, python) and databases experience (SQL) are a plus
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- This position requires the ability to perform repetitive motions during pipetting and samples processing in a laboratory setting.
- This position requires the ability to use a computer keyboard, communicate over the telephone and read printed material.
- Duties may require working outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends) at times.
Travel required for this position:
No X or Yes__: If yes state anticipated percent for travel: N/A