Bio-Techne is pioneering solutions for the Cell and Gene Therapy industry from discovery to the clinic. Our innovative products accelerate cell and gene therapy innovation through simplified workflow, scalability and customization while adhering to the highest quality standards.
This hands-on position will drive discovery, scale up and troubleshooting of novel polymeric reagents for cell activation, cell separation and other CGT applications. As part of the R&D team, this role will generate polymer functionalization strategies, develop polymer characterization methods and prototype new bioactive hydrogels. This position will work closely with product teams across the organization and act as a key technical expert for the CGT business unit.
You’ll join a multidisciplinary R&D team of biologists, engineers and chemists focused on developing high impact tools for immunotherapies and cancer research. This role presents unique opportunity to contribute technical and intellectual skills to a dynamic and innovative environment.
We are looking for an individual who is highly motivated by our mission and technology, is self-organized, and is flexible to support a range of projects within a fast-growing organization.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop and characterize new biomaterials for use in cell therapy applications
- Perform hands-on synthesis, functionalization and characterization of polymers and polymer-protein conjugates
- Design new synthetic routes for innovative polymers to improve their solubility, cross-linking potential, bioconjugation efficiency and mechanical properties
- Serve as the technical expert in troubleshooting and characterizing polymer structures, reaction bioproducts and material impurities across Bio-Techne CGT products
- Oversee laboratory equipment and mentor junior team members in their proper use
- Develop presentations and communicate technical results to various internal groups
- Maintain accurate laboratory records and draft technical reports to comply with good laboratory practices and standard operating procedures.
Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Polymer Science, Materials Science or related discipline
- 10+ years of industry experience developing new molecules, materials and products for FDA regulated application
- A track record of technical accomplishment in polymer innovation, characterization and product development as demonstrated by patents, publications and conference talks
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive hands-on skills with various techniques for polymerization and functionalization of hydrophilic polymers. Experience with zwitterionic moieties, PEGylation, ionic cross-linking systems and polymer-protein bioconjugation is highly preferred.
- Deep technical expertise with material characterization tools such as: FTIR, NMR, DSC, zeta sizer, rheology and mechanical testing
- Experience in formulating new polymers into microspheres, particles or coatings
- A proven track record of enabling new medical products through technical innovation
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and manage multiple competing projects in an efficient manner
- Effective professional communication skills, in written, oral and presentation format
- A strong enthusiasm for innovation and ability to work collaboratively in a dynamic, fast-paced, multidisciplinary environment
- Basic understanding of immunology is a plus