Exosome Diagnostics is seeking a highly motivated and creative (Senior) Scientist to join our NGS team. In this position, you will develop novel NGS based workflows as well as optimizing current ones for biomarker discovery and detection. You will lead development of NGS based liquid biopsy tests for non-invasive diagnosis of various diseases, including but not limited to, cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, etc. This position requires the ability to work on complex problems under multiple priorities where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangible variables.
- Design and perform well-controlled experiments to optimize existing and/or develop novel NGS workflows for profiling exosomal nucleic acids.
- Identify known and novel biomarker signatures for various human health conditions including cancer by implementing these workflows.
- Design and develop NGS based liquid biopsy tests that can be validated in a CLIA setting and launched as future products for Bio-techne.
- Generate NGS libraries for multi-omics (genomic, transcriptomic and epigenomic) profiling of exosomal nucleic acids for liquid biopsy.
- Perform NGS data analysis in collaboration with scientists and bioinformatics team.
- Support custom projects for biomarker discovery, and report and document results and progress to colleagues, clients and for IP.
- Contribute and write experimental or product development plans, protocols, SOPs and reports.
- Carry out troubleshooting activities per team decision or from supervisor.
- Train and mentor Research Associates in the lab.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to lead multi-department projects and further product development across Bio-Techne.
- Take routine laboratory responsibilities and comply with laboratory rules.
- Follow company policies and practices as outlined in all company resources and external sources, including, but not limited to, safety and compliance guidelines (e.g.-- CLIA, CAP, HIPAA, OSHA, and related safety guidelines).
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- PhD in a relevant scientific field with at least 3 years of experience in NGS assay development, preferably in biotech industry. Or Master’s degree in a related filed, with at least 7 years of NGS assay development experience.
- Extensive experience with NGS based assays for variants profiling, including mutations, RNA fusions & CNVs.
- Prior experience in DNA methylation profiling NGS workflows is a plus.
- Experience with targeted sequencing workflows, including hybrid capture and amplicon sequencing & familiarity with commercial NGS kits and technology landscape.
- Versed in human genomics and cancer biology.
- Familiarity with NGS data analysis, bioinformatics tools & pipelines.
- Experienced in PCR based nucleic acid detection techniques (e.g., qRT-PCR, digital PCR).
- Prior experience in working with human biofluids, exosomes and & cell-free DNA is a plus.
- Prior hands-on experience with CRISPR-Cas9 technology is a plus.
- Prior experience working in a regulated environment is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experienced with various NGS techniques with hands-on experience on commercially available workflows/kits and technology landscape.
- Experienced with a variety of molecular biology techniques including nucleic acid extraction, amplification, and detection.
- Strong project management and time management abilities to prioritize and schedule multiple concurrent projects.
- Excellent communication skills and can implement technologies developed from R&D into a CLIA and/or FDA-regulated environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with attention to details, and liquid biopsy / diagnostics industry knowledge.
- Excellent work ethics with high-level of professionalism and integrity.
- Strong interpersonal interaction skills and demonstrable ability to work collaboratively.
- High communication proficiency both verbal and written, in technical and non-technical domains.
- Self-directed, creative, with a can-do attitude.
- Proficient in the use of computer applications and software, including Microsoft Office suite