Biologics Discovery Sciences at AbbVie is seeking a highly motivated research scientist to join a dynamic team supporting biologics drug discovery and multispecifics engineering. This position will impact projects through the discovery and engineering of biopharmaceutical products. The ideal candidate should have strong experience with a variety of molecular cloning techniques as they relate to multispecifics biologics assembly and knowledge of antibody fragments and mimetics. Other desirable skills include in vitro display technologies (e.g, phage display), experience with antibody engineering, protein purification expertise, and familiarity with sequence analysis tools and molecular modeling software. The applicant should be able to analyze, document, and report data. She/he should possess excellent communication skills and be comfortable presenting in group settings.
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
- BS, MS, PhD in biology or related field with 10+ years (BS), 8+ years (MS), 0+ years (PhD) of pharmaceutical and/or relevant experience
- Strong molecular biology skills (e.g., molecular cloning
- Familiarity with sequence analysis tools (Vector NTI, Geneious, Genedata)
- Experience with biologics, antibody fragments and mimetics
- Experience in mammalian cell culture and transfection
- Experience with protein purification and in vitro analytical techniques for protein characterization (e.g., SEC, MS)
- Experience in antibody engineering and optimization (e.g., humanization, Fc optimization)
- Biologics developability knowledge
- Understanding of protein structure and function
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Keen ability to engage internal and external scientific leaders in collaborative research
- Excellent organization skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Team player with the ability to operate in a fast-paced multi-disciplinary environment
- Adapt to rapid changes in project priorities and timelines
- Competency with software programs, including MS Excel, Powerpoint, Word
- Hands-on experience with in vitro antibody discovery display technologies (e.g., phage, yeast display)
- Experience with automation of Biologics discovery processes
- Experience with bacterial cell culture
- Direct experience with binding assays (e.g., ELISA, flow cytometry)
- Flow cytometry experience
- Experience with antibody library design and construction
- Proficiency with the software programs Prism, Geneious, Sequencher, Genedata
Significant Work Activities and Conditions
• Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable higher performance.
• Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change the course quickly where indicated.
• Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
• Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
• Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie's policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person's relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.