Tessera Therapeutics is seeking a motivated and creative Senior Scientist to join a team of scientists and engineers focused on upstream process development of mRNA production. This will include, but not limited to, mRNA production process development, process scale-up, process execution to make material for preclinical studies. This individual will join a dynamic, rapidly growing, and highly collaborative team that is driving the mRNA process development for a novel platform of Gene Writing.
- Support the development of in-house mRNA production capabilities, with an emphasis on establishing a scalable/transferable process for producing high-purity material.
- Execute experimental plans for screening, optimization, and scale-up efforts for mRNA synthesis, and purification.
- Use DoE principles to optimize and develop advanced in vitro transcription process that is robust and scalable.
- Contribute to development of next-generation mRNA design and synthesis.
- Contribute to advancement of Tessera’s RNA platform with innovative process solutions.
- Assist in the development and qualification of reliable scale down and scale up models for high-throughput screening experiments.
- Support the generation of preclinical mRNA high quality material generation.
- Troubleshoot lab workflows and maintain equipment.
- Provide high quality results and documentation in electronic lab notebooks.
- Write protocols and technical reports to support drug substance and drug product clinical development.
- Collaborate effectively with formulation and analytical development teams.
- PhD with 5+ years of relevant experience. A degree in either Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, or Biological Sciences.
- Technical understanding and experience in biopharmaceutical process development including mRNA/ protein synthesis, and purification is required.
- Hand on experience with nucleic acids, enzyme kinetics, PCR, plasmid processing, and standard analytical techniques for macromolecules is required.
- Experience with DNA template design, DNA sequencing data analysis and alignment using bioinformatics tools is preferred.
- Experience with process scale up using bioreactors is preferred.
- Experience with protein expression, purification in E. coli and/ or mammalian systems is a plus.
- Hands on experience with in vitro transcription and mRNA purification technologies is preferred.
- Track record of completing deliverables within specified timelines.
- Eager to work with highly skilled and dynamic teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and technical setting.
- The successful candidate should be collaborative, communicative, and passionate about working with lipid nanoparticles leading to mediate the next generation of genetic medicines.