Role responsibilities include the ability to contribute to the development and enablement of a coherent synthesis strategy for oncology drug discovery. The candidate must understand the goals and strategies of the project and, as part of the synthesis team, positively and proactively influence the project team through the development of innovative and practical chemistry. The candidate will:
- Develop and enable versatile and modular synthetic routes compatible with rapid new target synthesis, and will validate these routes through reduction to practice.
- Build effective partnerships with other lines, in particular analytical, pharmaceutical sciences, and external research chemistry groups.
- Develop scalable routes to preclinical drug candidates.
- Liaise with outsourcing point of contact(s) to ensure provision of chemistry protocols and scientific guidance to external contract research chemists.
- Publish and present research internally and externally to Pfizer.
- Doctoral degree in synthetic organic chemistry and, optionally, 1-2 years of postdoctoral experience.
Training and experience:
- Strong track record of achievement in synthesis of complex molecules with state-of-the-art knowledge of modern synthetic methodologies and analytical and purification techniques.
- Expertise in methodology development and successfully completed multistep syntheses.
- Proven track record of creative thinking and consistent delivery as demonstrated by publication/presentation records.
- Highly skilled synthetic chemist in the area of methodology development and multistep synthesis.
- Strong knowledge of techniques related to purification and characterization of organic compounds.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, enthusiasm, integrity, self-motivation, strong interpersonal skills, ability to interact within a multidisciplinary team.
- Comfortable working in a highly innovative team environment.
- Can effectively cope with change.
- Responds well to scientific challenge and applies significant rigor to their own work.